collapse collapse

* Links

* Forum Menu

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2373
  • stats Total Posts: 86100
  • stats Total Topics: 14746
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 63
  • stats Most Online: 721

* Search

Author Topic: Headstamp/Cartridge Identification  (Read 35930 times)

KClarke

Headstamp/Cartridge Identification
« on: May 06, 2005, 10:03:52 AM »
Hello all,
      I've been looking recently at acquiring a digital Cartridge Case/Headstamp Library to use for identification purposes.  I've found several, and am curious as to what experience, if any, folks might have had with them.

The first is relatively inexpensive, manufactured by a Curtis Steinhauer, located in Canada and found at

www.cartridge-corner.com

The second, is a great deal more expensive, and manufactured by a group in the Netherlands, with offices worldwide, though apparently, not in North America yet.  It can be found at

http://www.cartwin.nl/IndexUK.html

Any input or advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any help,

Kenneth Clarke
NIBIN Technician
KClarke@Greenvillecounty.org

gmlawrence

Cartridge Headstamp Guide
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 10:49:59 AM »
The Cartridge Headstamp Guide by Curtis is an excellent product. We just recently ordered the latest upgrade to this product. Lots of usefull information about the cartridge and company. You'll enjoy the search engine that's incorporated in the product. Gary

Offline Michael Neel

• AFTE Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 12:08:56 PM »
Kenneth,

I have a copy of the first reference that you mention. We have found it useful as it does provide lots of good information. I have had trouble with the search feature from time to time; however, I definitely recommend the product. I have not seen the second reference that you mention.

Mike Neel
ATF Firearms Examiner
Atlanta, GA

Offline Jim Roberts

• AFTE Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 12:43:00 PM »
I've used the Steinhauer CD for a couple of years now and have only stumped it once that I can remember, and that one gave Bill Wooden some pause as well.  Seems to work well.

Jim
Jim Roberts
Firearm & Toolmarks Section
Ventura Co. Sheriff's Lab

KClarke

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 08:41:41 AM »
Thanks for all the helpful replies.  From what I can see, Mr. Steinhuaer's work seems to be a safe bet.  Being as it's fairly inexpensive, I may be able to get it and another reference for back-up.

After speaking with the gentleman who apparently helped designed CartWinPro, I find my interest piqued in it.  He says he is going to be demonstrating it at the AFTE show this year if anyone is interested.  I don't know if I'll be able to attend yet or not, but we are trying to wrangle some funds for it now.

Also, a third database has been brought to my attention, and I thought I would see if anyone was familiar with it.  It's called the Centerfire Headstamp Database, and is produced by Forensic Ammunition Service Inc., located in Michigan.  From my reading on this one, it seems to have a large amount of information stored in individual Word documents.  I'm not sure about the search functions incorporated in it, but another large database might help cover anything the first missed.  Anyone had experience with this one?

Thanks for the advice,

Kenneth Clarke
NIBIN Technician

Offline Jim Roberts

• AFTE Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 11:57:42 AM »
Sounds like George Kass's book in the data base form. I have the book and it is good. I know that George keeps his info in his computer so he probably has released it this way, as such it could be kept more up to date than a book.  Or at least more easily kept up.  I haven't seen it but George knows his stuff.

Jim
Jim Roberts
Firearm & Toolmarks Section
Ventura Co. Sheriff's Lab

Offline Cole

• AFTE Member
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 12:20:11 PM »
We have the Forensic Ammo Service guide here.  It has about 1000 entries on the CD, a text index, and a picture index (for Arabic headstamps and such).  If it isn't in one of the CD entries, you send it to George Kass, and he'll figure it out.  It hasn't failed us yet.
The views expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of anyone, anywhere, ever - including the author.

Offline Dennis Lyons

• AFTE Member
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 04:23:48 PM »
We have both of the mentioned headstamp guides here at the NYSP lab and they are both easy to use.  I don't think you can go wrong with either one.
Dennis J. Lyons
Rhode Island State Crime Lab
University of Rhode Island
41 Lower College Road
Kingston, R.I. 02881

Countdown Clock

* Recent Posts

* Headstamp Guide

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal