PUBLIC Forums > Research Proposals

Eficiency of Automated Ballistic Identification Systems

(1/3) > >>

michaelds:
This is a research as to find out why certain european countries opted for other ballistic identifcation systems and the current system in the US is questioned.

AFTE Admin:
Your question for the poll is worded oddly..."Has your lab solved any crime using exclusively IBIS/NIBIN...".  We don't use IBIS/NIBIN to solve crimes.  It is used to link crimes.  At that point, it is up to other sections of the police department to "solve" the crimes.

That being said...in the 5+ years I have used NIBIN, I have only had one case that involved a "Hit" go to court and then the DA didn't even bring up the link between the two cases.  They just focused on the original case being tried.

Justine Kreso:
I agree with what Jay has said.  There is no such thing as NIBIN/IBIS "solving" a crime.  It simply creates a link between 2 crimes and it is up to the police department or district attorney in charge of the case to determine what that link means.

However, we have had great success with NIBIN in my area.  NIBIN and/or open case file bullet hits have been used in about 4-5 RICO cases, as well as several cases in county court.  The local gang taskforce also uses our NIBIN hits to do crime tracking.

It is no secret that NIBIN is outdated technology that is not even being sold.  Most jurisdictions do not have the $$ to upgrade to some of the newer technology.  I image that any decisions to go with other programs are made just like the US--based on bottom line (referring to money) and the way a product is presented.

Garry Lawrence:
In September 2010 the Firearms Unit was presented with a plaque indicating our 1250 hit (their words not mine) using the IBIS/CIBIN (for Canada) system.
Just like everyone else, it is up the Scientist to confirm the potential hit not CIBIN.
I do not know the numbers as far as how many of the hits helped in the solving of a crime.
I have been asked on the stand about linkages that have been made between different shooting events. To what extent that helped or not I do not know.

Bob Shem:
When we had NIBIN the system associated several cases and led to the "solving" of several unsolved cases.  However, I don't think that the cases ever went to trial because the guns could not be sufficiently associated with suspects.  For our jurisdiction we have found that NIBIN definitely has value but it came at a great expense per "hit".  I liken it to killing a mosquito with a nuclear bomb, effective but at a questionable cost.  In an era where the US government has overextended itself something has got to give.  It seems like NIBIN rates as "low hanging fruit" in many locales when it comes to spending cuts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version