collapse collapse

* Links

* Forum Menu

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2373
  • stats Total Posts: 86100
  • stats Total Topics: 14746
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 63
  • stats Most Online: 721

* Search

Author Topic: Federal .45 ACP aluminum casing  (Read 12318 times)

Offline Ed Love

• AFTE Member
Federal .45 ACP aluminum casing
« on: May 08, 2015, 05:17:24 PM »
I'm hoping that someone can help me with some information about an aluminum Federal .45 cartridge case. Marked a lot like the CCI. Were these made by CCI for Federal?

Offline aesanko

• AFTE Friend
Re: Federal .45 ACP aluminum casing
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 05:45:01 PM »
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I think ATK Ammo now manufactures Federal and CCI w Al cc's.

I've seen the Federal .45 Auto Al case ammo at Wal-Mart.

Offline Cole

• AFTE Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 02:57:08 AM »
Yeah, Alliant Techsystems (ATK) ate both Federal and CCI/Speer some years ago, then they changed up what was sold under the names Federal, CCI, etc.    CCI became the name they started using for most of their rimfire ammo. I think that they started using Blazer for "economy" lines of ammo, both brass- and aluminum-cased.   Federal seems to have become the brand name of the "premium" lines.  They sell Lawman and Gold Dot under the Speer name.  It looks like they're selling some 22 ammo under the Blazer brand name, and the aluminum-cased Federal ammo, so I guess the divisions between the brand lines aren't necessarily strict. 

I don't think they've actually sold any aluminum-cased stuff under the CCI name for a few years now.

I don't know whether or not they make all or any of the aluminum cases in what used to be CCI's facilities.

To make things more confusing, ATK ceased to exist earlier this year.  Their sporting group, to include small-caliber ammunition manufacturing (and a bunch of other stuff), split off to become Vista Outdoor, Inc.  Their defense mfg portion merged with another company, but that's probably irrelevant to most folks here.
The views expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of anyone, anywhere, ever - including the author.

Offline Evan Thompson

• AFTE Member
  • retired
Evan Thompson
-----------------------------------
Never live a life gray
928-607-6123

Offline Alison Quereau

• AFTE Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 08:47:42 AM »
To make things more confusing, ATK ceased to exist earlier this year.  Their sporting group, to include small-caliber ammunition manufacturing (and a bunch of other stuff), split off to become Vista Outdoor, Inc. 

I wasn't aware of this.  Thanks, Cole.  So hard to keep up!
ALQ

http://www.atk.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alliant_Techsystems
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 08:49:14 AM by Alison Quereau »
Alison Quereau
Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office Crime Lab
West Palm Beach, FL

Countdown Clock

* Recent Posts

* Headstamp Guide

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal