collapse collapse

* Links

* Forum Menu

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2373
  • stats Total Posts: 86091
  • stats Total Topics: 14746
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 63
  • stats Most Online: 721

* Search

Author Topic: Looking for old IWBA Journal article  (Read 28413 times)

Offline Michael Kusluski

• AFTE Member
Looking for old IWBA Journal article
« on: January 06, 2016, 07:59:52 AM »
I am hoping to find someone who has an article: "Windshield Glass Penetration" by Duncan McPherson and Ed Fincel. It was published in the Journal of the International Wound Ballistics Association (Vol. 2, No. 4) back in 1996. The organization is now disbanded (and Marvin Fackler has passed on), so I don't think I can buy a back issue. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Offline Nat Pearlson

• AFTE Member
Re: Looking for old IWBA Journal article
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 10:50:55 AM »
Here you go.

Nat

Offline Michael Kusluski

• AFTE Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 11:01:52 AM »
Wonderful!

Thank you very much.

MK

Offline Eric Warren

• Board of Directors
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 11:42:34 AM »
I know this issue has been brought up in the forums before (specifically here: http://forum.afte.org/index.php?topic=9115), but would it be possible to start some type of digital library where Journals like this could be accessed by our members, especially when we were given permission at one time?

Again, I would be more than happy to scan in any volumes if anyone wants to send them to me!

Offline Nat Pearlson

• AFTE Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 02:17:44 PM »
I have all of volumes 1 through 4 and number 1 of volume 5 - that may have been the last one..  I'm happy to loan them out for scanning purposes.

Nat

Offline Eric Warren

• Board of Directors
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 04:15:07 PM »
I'm posting this in both threads to make sure everyone knows.

I wanted to thank Nat Pearlson, who made it possible for us to have our own IWBA library.  I've been digitizing all of the IWBA Wound Ballistics Review journals.  I've uploaded them into their own folder on the AFTE Google Drive.  For access, log on to our Google drive account.  There is a folder named "IWBA Wound Ballistics Review" with the files I've added so far.

Also, the last issue that Nat had was Volume 5 Number 1.  So if anyone has an issue after that, please let me know or feel free to scan it and add it to the folder.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 09:31:04 AM by Eric Warren »

Offline Humpy

• AFTE Friend
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 06:17:08 AM »
Just wanted to express my gratitude to Eric for scanning and posting the IWBA Journals.

I was a Full Member (#12) months prior to the first volume being published as I knew Marty for several years prior to the initiation of the Association and knew it was on his Bucket List.

I was introduced to Marty by my Small Arms Ordnance friends at the US Secret Service-Beltsville about 1985 best I can recollect.

He really upset the establishment (Ballistics Research Lab Aberdeen Proving Ground and others)with his ground breaking methodology.

I was a Small Arms and Ammunition Test Director at APG and when I was there it was the old school but Marty came on the scene and jumped all over their sand castle and floored them with good solid data they could not refute.

Marty became interested in wound ballistics in Viet Nam where he was a Navy surgeon and his specialty was bullet wounds.  He would make notes of the damage to personnel and he would get their information either before surgery or after and he wanted to know  things like what they were shot with and from how far away.

Obviously as a Colonel that is not a Navy rank but  Marty was good friends with the Surgeon General of the Army and after Nam he persuaded Marty to switch to the Army and set up a Wound Ballistics facility at the Presidio.

I suppose I have all my copies but I have boxes from three moves past I have not opened yet.  The http from Eric was a true gift.

The best of my recollection the last time I talked with him was in 2015 when I was putting together my bio to run for the NRA Board of Directors and I called Marty.  He was retired,  living in Gainesville, Florida.  I had been told that he had developed mental deterioration and during that phone call he appeared to be himself but shortly thereafter I started  to get some odd emails which were obviously not the "same old Marty".

I really miss hearing from him.

Again my thanks to Eric for restoring my library so to speak.

Mark Humphreville
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 06:20:21 AM by Humpy »

Offline Eric Warren

• Board of Directors
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 01:59:43 PM »
On a related note, thanks to Mark "Humpy" Humphreville for providing a copy of the FBI Wound Ballistics Workshop (see attached)!

Offline Greg Laskowski

• Moderators
    • Linked In Profile of Gregory Laskowski
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 04:37:23 PM »
Thank you Nat and Eric for sharing. :-00
Gregory E. Laskowski
President/Chief Consultant
Criminalistics Services International, LLC
8021 Dottie Court
Bakersfield, CA
661 747-2961
crimservintllc@outlook.com

Offline Humpy

• AFTE Friend
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 08:59:51 PM »
I may have some more stuff from Fackler.  I am going through my old work files to see what I can use for my NRA Board of Directors run in 2018 Election and happened up on that.

If I run up on anything I will let you know. 

Offline justonew

• AFTE Friend
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 06:34:32 PM »
Hi Eric,

Is it possible to have access to the Google drive account with the IWBA library? I am attached to a Ballistics section in Australia.

Offline Humpy

• AFTE Friend
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 01:11:53 AM »
Juston I got a copy of your request directly and sent you the info in separate email and also the 1987 FBI Minutes. Humpy

Offline Bob Kennington

• AFTE Member
    • My Only "Social Media"
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 05:48:22 AM »
"...I called Marty.  He was retired,  living in Gainesville, Florida.  I had been told that he had developed mental deterioration and during that phone call he appeared to be himself...I really miss hearing from him...
Marty visited our lab several times, and called from Gainesville every few months. I didn't detect any mental deterioration.  ???

Do I recall correctly that, "as a surgeon", he felt badly having developed better-wounding bullet designs?

Offline Humpy

• AFTE Friend
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 11:03:45 AM »
Bob, just found  Marty's Obit  I never heard any regrets from him but I do miss our talks.  Last time we talked I had sent him a email asking if I would be correct in saying I as a Charter Member of IWBA and he said I definitely was one but the term was never officially used.  Then I ran across my membership card that is still in mint condition saying I was #12.  Humpy

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/gainesville/obituary.aspx?n=martin-l-fackler&pid=174977568&fhid=6305

He died 5 23, 2015   I just checked my email list and I contacted him 5 1 15 and 5 11 15 no responses. There had been a dry period from Jan 2015 till then.  Prior to Jan we exchanged 2 to 4 emails a month and numerous phone calls.

I got a response from his email saying no further emails were to be sent on 5/30/15 from I assume his son or wife???  I don't remember his saying he had a son but this is what I got.

"please remove from mailing list.  This address is no longer active.  Thank you."
and enclosed this which was in  36 point type I reduced down.

[size=0pt]Time is like a river. You cannot touch the water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again. Enjoy every moment of life. As a bagpiper, I play many gigs. Recently I was asked by a funeral director to play at a graveside service for a homeless man. He had no family or friends, so the service was to be at a pauper's cemetery in the Nova Scotia back country.[/size]

[size=0pt]As I was not familiar with the backwoods, I got lost and, being a typical man, I didn't stop for directions.[/size]
[size=0pt]
[/size][size=0pt]I finally arrived an hour late and saw the funeral guy had evidently gone and the hearse was nowhere in sight. There were only the diggers and crew left and they were eating lunch. I felt badly and apologized to the men for being late.[/size]
[size=0pt]
[/size][size=0pt]I went to the side of the grave and looked down and the vault lid was already in place. I didn't know what else to do, so I started to play.[/size]
[size=0pt]
[/size][size=0pt]The workers put down their lunches and began to gather around. I played out my heart and soul for this man with no family and friends. I played like I've never played before for this homeless man.[/size]
[size=0pt]
[/size][size=0pt]And as I played "Amazing Grace", the workers began to weep. They wept, I wept, we all wept together. When I finished, I packed up my bagpipes and started for my car. Though my head was hung low, my heart was full.[/size]
[size=0pt]
[/size][size=0pt]As I opened the door to my car, I heard one of the workers say, "I never seen anything like that before, and I've been putting in septic tanks for twenty years."[/size]
[size=0pt]
[/size][size=0pt]Apparently, I'm still lost....it's a man thing.[/size]
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 11:45:12 AM by Humpy »

Offline Humpy

• AFTE Friend
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2021, 06:28:08 PM »
I had a computer crash and have apparently lost all my copies of the IWBA.  Could someone please send me the link of where all the copies are again?  I still have my copy of the workshop minutes that is on line here.  Just need all the copies.
Thanks
Mark Humphreville
ac4ht@aol.com

I just went to another computer and pulled back up thumb drive for it and found them. In case anyone needs them this is where they are.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_PmkwLd1hmbd3pWYVVJeGlGaFE
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 06:41:57 PM by Humpy »

Countdown Clock

* Recent Posts

* Headstamp Guide

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal