collapse collapse

* Links

* Forum Menu

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2379
  • stats Total Posts: 86469
  • stats Total Topics: 14839
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 63
  • stats Most Online: 721

* Search

Author Topic: Die stamps  (Read 20288 times)

surlydog

Die stamps
« on: August 13, 2005, 12:20:19 AM »
:idea: I am posting this as a few might find it interesting. I have a Prototype early Luger that is a outstanding piece, never been offered for public sale. Problem , no hard paper trail to prove originality. In studing the gun i noticed the bbl. dies used to serial number (magnified) had flawed 0''s. prototype lugers have a 100 prefix serial number. I began checking around, though rare, other prototypes do exist. I have found another example with the flawed 0''s. My thoughts now as I continue to collect evidence to support that my gun is valid, is why has no-one done studies on die stamps..They are the finger prints to guns. none are perfect and in many cases the comparing of die stamps could be of great interest in cases like mine..If I was younger ,I would take a crack at doing it...thoughts welcome...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2005, 09:24:33 PM by Scott Doyle »

Offline Robert Thompson

• AFTE Member
Re: Die stamps
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 03:27:04 PM »
If similarly flawed "0" digits are found on Lugers with legitimate" credentials" and history, a toolmark examiner may find sufficient microscopic similarity of individualizing features to identify a single, particular "0" as having been used.
One way to do this is to Microsil your serial number, and that of a "known" Luger.  This will not mark in any way the items, and the toolmarks are faithfully reproduced in silicone rubber casts.
BUT a comparison has to be performed by an examiner using a comparison microscope for the final expert opinion.
/Robert
/Robert T.

surlydog

Re: Die stamps
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 06:00:07 PM »
Thanks Robert for the helpfull information, it will most usefull when I locate another early example....Harry

Countdown Clock

* Recent Posts

* Headstamp Guide

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal