PUBLIC Forums > Firearm Identification

Right hand rifling?

(1/4) > >>

labcoptr:
Hi,
All dear collegues,
I wonder that Is there any scientific back round; why does all of the infantry rifle riflings right hand twist?

with my best regards

Teresa Rutherford:
Scientific basis of this? I guess Physics could explain this but as far as I know, most people are right handed that's why rifles are being made for right-handed people in general. Left-handed people take a lot of time adjusting and well-versing this right hand rifling.

Aaron Brudenell:
To the best of my knowledge, most guns are right hand twist but there's no practical advantage for small arms on the direction of twist.  I suspect if you're working with very large bore guns that fire great distances there may be an observable difference but it's likely to be very subtle.

Justine Kreso:
The individual who posted originally was referring to the twist of a firearm--not the external design in reference to being right or left handed.  A

Bob Hart:
Explanation #1 (traditional):

In a revolver with the cylinder swinging out to the left, the torque of the bullet engaging the right hand rifling forces the frame toward the cylinder, reducing the likelyhood of the cylinder opening unintentionally.  Colt, on the other hand, claimed that their left hand twist torqued the gun into the hand of a right handed shooter.  

Explanation #2 (alternate):

At the time rifling was introduced, existing lathes were usually set up to cut right hand screw threads.

Explanation #3 (my observation):

British Enfield rifles had left hand twist rifling.  Brits drive on the opposite side of the road.  Coincidence?

Bob

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version