collapse collapse

* Links

* Forum Menu

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2373
  • stats Total Posts: 86100
  • stats Total Topics: 14746
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 63
  • stats Most Online: 721

* Search

Author Topic: Headstamp Submissions  (Read 49892 times)

Offline Richard Hitchcox

• (956) 565-7281
  • AFTE Member
Headstamp Submissions
« on: May 20, 2006, 11:48:24 PM »
David conducted a headstamp submission contest back in November 2005.  At that time, several people stated that this would be a good project for interns.  Well, summer is now upon us, and many labs are now or soon will be getting summer interns.  I believe looking through a laboratory's ammunition reference collection and finding headstamps that are not in the AFTE Headstamp Guide could be a good project for an intern.

David, why not consider another contest?  Maybe AFTE members could offer up items for prizes.  I would be willing to contribute something in this respect.  I would just have to figure out what to offer.  I view the AFTE Headstamp Guide and the information contained therein as assets that benefit all AFTE members who take the time to look.  Thank you for all of the time and effort that you have put into developing the gallery into its present state.

Richard
1911 is faster than 911 ~ anonymous

Offline Richard Hitchcox

• (956) 565-7281
  • AFTE Member
Re: Headstamp Submissions
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 12:47:08 PM »
I think I have found a few headstamps that were missed when the headstamps that have been submitted were being added to the gallery.  I am aware that due to the large number of headstamps submitted, some were bound to fall through the cracks.  I am in no way complaining, because David Wright has done a great job with the gallery.  I'm just trying to catch some of the ones that somehow didn't get included in the gallery.

My apologies if any of these are in the gallery and I missed them.

I believe these were submitted by Chris Monturo, Charles Clow, Chris Kalkowski, Zak Carr, and myself.

Richard
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 12:57:18 PM by Richard Hitchcox »

Offline Richard Hitchcox

• (956) 565-7281
  • AFTE Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 01:44:08 PM »
Here are a few more headstamps that I think missed being included in the gallery.

Richard

Offline Richard Hitchcox

• (956) 565-7281
  • AFTE Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 03:17:49 PM »
Here are more headstamps that seem to have missed the gallery when originally submitted.

Richard
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 12:10:15 PM by Richard Hitchcox »

Offline Richard Hitchcox

• (956) 565-7281
  • AFTE Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 03:20:43 PM »
And few more that missed the gallery.

Richard
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 12:09:35 PM by Richard Hitchcox »

Offline Richard Hitchcox

• (956) 565-7281
  • AFTE Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 03:23:22 PM »
And the last of those that I think missed the gallery for now.

Richard
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 12:08:47 PM by Richard Hitchcox »

Offline Doug Lancon

• AFTE Member
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 12:06:11 PM »
nice site with info on American headstamps (no pics though):

http://www.harringtonmuseum.org.uk/USACartHeadstamps.htm

O0
Doug Lançon

Offline Richard Hitchcox

• (956) 565-7281
  • AFTE Member
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 10:10:47 PM »
Here are some more headstamps that I think somehow missed getting added to the gallery.

Richard
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 12:07:59 PM by Richard Hitchcox »

Offline Richard Hitchcox

• (956) 565-7281
  • AFTE Member
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 10:16:23 PM »
Here are some more headstamps that I think somehow missed getting added to the gallery.

Richard
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 12:06:43 PM by Richard Hitchcox »

Offline Scott Doyle

• AFTE Member
    • An Introduction to Forensic Firearms Identification
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 07:52:25 AM »
Richard et al,

I know you are trying to help.  That's great.  But... to add these to the headstamp guide we need info on the manufacturer, calibers, dates, country or origin etc. 

We don't have the time to research all of these to include them.  David Wright has his hands full as it is and unless it is obvious he won't be able to add it to the gallery.  Just having a picture of the headstamp doesn't do anything for us.

Please try to identify the manufacturer and include as much background info on the headstamp as possible when posting them.

Thanks,

Scott

Offline Richard Hitchcox

• (956) 565-7281
  • AFTE Member
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 09:34:29 AM »
Thank you for your comments Scott, and your point is well taken.  O0

I first attempted to identify which of the headstamps submitted had not been included in the gallery.  Now with that accomplished, I will go back and identify as many of them as possible using the resources, including CartWinPro, that I have available.  I will either modify my posts to include the identifying information or provide the identifying information directly to David Wright.

Richard

Offline Scott Doyle

• AFTE Member
    • An Introduction to Forensic Firearms Identification
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2006, 09:58:50 AM »
Richard,

Thanks, I'm not trying to discourage you and others by any means.

One thing to remember though, don't violate someone else's copyright.  The information in CartWinPro is Axel's property and unless he gives us permission we can't reproduce his material here.  He has a great product that he has invested a lot of time with and deserves compensation for his work.

Also, copying pictures from other websites is a no-no unless that site has no copyright rules or grant permission for us to reproduce the headstamp.  I would prefer the latter.

Pictures we take ourselves from boxes of ammo we receive are the best source. 

Scott

Offline Richard Hitchcox

• (956) 565-7281
  • AFTE Member
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2006, 12:42:25 PM »
Scott,

I consider myself to have been sufficiently chastised and educated, and I appreciate you taking the time to do so.  O0

I believe I have finished removing everything copied from another source.  I clearly identified items copied from other sources as such when I posted them, and it was fairly easy to get rid of those items.  There will still be several unidentified headstamps.  I cover the 21 southernmost counties in Texas, and agencies (PD's and SO's) within my area have found that I will gladly accept any excess ammunition they want to get rid of.  I get big boxes full of mixed up ammo not in the original boxes, and this was the source of many of the headstamps I submitted.   

I will not rely on CartWinPro to get identifying information for the remaining headstamps; however, I will use it to confirm identifying information that I get from other sources.  I consider the information from some other sources to be suspect, and I will not pass that along unless I can confirm it through CartWinPro or some other reputable source.  I have no intention of cheating Axel out of his intellectual property or violating his copyright.

Richard
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 12:30:15 PM by Richard Hitchcox »

daveb

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2006, 03:26:02 PM »
hello,

i have a need to locate information relative to the attached headstamp i have photographed. please feel free to add it to your gallery. it is extremely similar to the headstamp labeled arabic number three. i am new to using web-based forums and would appreciate any help.  i am ultimately trying to locate the manuf., location of, types of potential propellants (and the origin of their manufacture) which are utilized in this 7.62 X 39 cartridge - of what i suspect is persian origin.  i collect cartridges from unique and arcane sources for dod and agency research. i will provide as many headstamps as possible to this group.
thanx in advance for any potential information.
v/r
dave
dave buchanan
weapons/energetics exploitation
bae systems
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 04:03:53 PM by David Wright »

Offline David Wright

• AFTE Member
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2006, 09:34:24 AM »
Dave,

I cropped and resized your photo so it would be easier to view in the forum.

According to the attached arabic numbers chart, the characters on the headstamp translate to 53 39 91.  I'm assuming that 53 is a factory code, 39 denotes caliber (7.62x39mm) and 91 is the production date.  Beyond that, I don't have any additional information.  Hopefully, someone in the forum will be able to shed some light as to the manufacturer.

We would welcome any headstamps and information that you would be willing to submit to the database.

Thanks for taking the time to post and I hope we can help ID your cartridge.
David Wright
Assistant Director
Johnson County Sheriff's Office Criminalistics Laboratory
David.Wright@jocogov.org

Countdown Clock

* Recent Posts

* Headstamp Guide

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal