collapse collapse

* Links

* Forum Menu

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 84
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2373
  • stats Total Posts: 86089
  • stats Total Topics: 14745
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 63
  • stats Most Online: 721

* Search

Author Topic: R&D Proposals  (Read 34307 times)

Offline Scott Doyle

• AFTE Member
    • An Introduction to Forensic Firearms Identification
R&D Proposals
« on: June 05, 2006, 11:34:03 PM »
In an effort to encourage research in the science of firearms and toolmarks examination or identification, the Research and Development Committee is providing a forum on the AFTE website for the posting of research proposals.

Research can be time-consuming and costly and for these reasons and more, many projects remain forever in the planning phase. However, it can also be difficult to think of an idea for a research project, especially for individuals new to the science of firearms and toolmarks examination or identification. This forum will serve multiple purposes. Individuals will have a dedicated site for the posting of research proposals; and those wishing to conduct research will be able to search for proposals that are of particular interest to them. This forum may also serve to unite different people on the same research project.

The Research and Development Committee is only providing a forum for the posting of research proposals. These proposals are not being reviewed by the committee. As in the past, the only proposals which will be reviewed by the Research and Development Committee are those requesting financial assistance pertaining to a specific research project.

The following are points to consider when posting a research proposal to the forum:

• Be as detailed or as general as you would like. All types of proposals will be appreciated.
  • Be clear as to the involvement you wish to have with regards to the research. For example, do you wish to serve only as a mentor or are you requesting assistance with the project.
  • Provide sufficient contact information to allow interested individuals to ask questions, etc.

Kimberly D. Haag, R&D Committee Chair

Offline Kim Haag

• AFTE Member
Re: R&D Proposals
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 03:24:14 PM »
I would like to post the first research proposal on behalf of Eric Collins.  Thank you Eric for getting the ball rolling!

Kim Haag
R&D Committee Chair

Sincerely,
      Kim Haag
      FSC, Albuquerque, NM

MaxYasko

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 03:50:58 AM »
I have one idea, maybe not a big one.
I heard that  several burrels can be made from one
metal long "tube" which is already having riflings on
it's canal surface (the tube is cut to several
fragments, depending on length of barrels that has to
be made).
I wonder, is it possible that barrels made from such
one "tube" would have the same, or almost the same
"individual" characteristics, for their canals where
worked up by the same instruments?
It is possible to check this by comparing the bullets
fired from the guns with barrels made from one "tube".
This sort of investigation can help, by my opinion, to
avoid possible wrong matches.
I'm from Belarus, and in my country it's extreemly difficult to examine such a possibility, because there are no firearm manufacturers here.
Sorry for my poor English, I'm composing english
letter for the first time.
Maybe it'll go better with more practice.
A little bit about me: I'm from Grodno, Belarus, my
speciality is a forensic expert (in our country it is
called "expert-criminalist") , I'm working at the
Criminalistics Center of Grodno Police Department
since 2002.
You can answer to my e-mail: max32max2002@yahoo.com,
if you like.
With my respect, Maxim Yasko.

Offline Charles Clow

• Board of Directors
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 11:06:05 AM »
Matty, William. “A Comparison of Three Individual Barrels Produced from One Button-Rifled Barrel Blank.” AFTE Journal, vol. 17(3), July, 1985, pp. 64-69.

Mr. Matty found that sub-class characteristics exist in the grooves but not in the lands.  The study also notes that over the first few firings that the striations on the bullets change significantly.

Just because it has been done, doesn't mean it shouldn't be done again.

CMC

MaxYasko

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 02:11:29 PM »
Thank You very much for the answer to my post.
Now I'l be more sure in my conclusions! O0

Offline Evan Thompson

• AFTE Member
  • retired
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 03:55:46 PM »
Mr. Yasko if you would like to participate in the Hi-Point consecutively made barrel test send me an complete address where you would like the test sent to. 

The barrels from this test started as one long tube, rifled and cut into sections.  Participants receive two bullets fired from each barrel #1, #2 and so forth.  Then another set of two bullets A, B, C and so forth also fired from each of the ten barrels.  The participant is asked to answer which of the numbered bullets match the lettered bullets.  You should allow 6-8 hours of scope time to work through the test.

Unfortunately there are only four sets available to make their way around various worldwide labs.  So it may be a few months before you receive your set.

Evan Thompson O0
Evan Thompson
-----------------------------------
Never live a life gray
928-607-6123

MaxYasko

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 01:29:36 AM »
Dear Mr. Thompson, thank you for giving me your attention. I do would like to partisipate this test.  Please, sent the samples, if it'll be possible, to the following address:

Maxim A. Yasko
Belusha Str., 51a
Criminalistics Center
Grodno  230019
Belarus

Max Yasko  8)

Offline Kim Haag

• AFTE Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 09:47:19 AM »
Mr. Yasko,

Thank you for offering a great idea.  Further research is always beneficial and in this case, there are a variety of rifling methods that could be tested (hammer forging, ECM, etc.).

Thank you for your post and please post any additional resarch ideas you have!

Kim Haag
Chair, Research and Development Committee
Sincerely,
      Kim Haag
      FSC, Albuquerque, NM

Offline Charlie DeArmond

• AFTE Friend
  • Inline Flintlock Test
    • Keg Island Research
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 05:57:23 PM »
I've generally seen distorted but recognizable marks on fragments of even violently disintegrated bullets. The lee sides of bullets in yaw can retain clear markings even when fired into coarse sand, for example. Anyone ever tried using computer modeling software to virtually un-stretch jacket fragments in order to determine surface charactaristics? Might be possible to do this based on thickness variations. In other words, telling the program to draw material toward the center of each individual fragment until the proper jacket thickness is achieved. Other complications would of course arise, but this basic concept might be made to work. This is far beyond my ability to investigate, but someone here may want to consider it. If it's been done for a decade, please forgive me. I am not an FTE.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 05:59:30 PM by Charlie DeArmond »

Countdown Clock

* Recent Posts

* Headstamp Guide

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal