PUBLIC Forums > Research Proposals

Minimizing damage in test fired .223 rem bullets

<< < (6/6)

winterh:
Something I have never attempted, but wanted to.
Wind tunnels used in aircraft development can generate velosities in the supersonic range. Has anyone thought of constructing a scaled down wind tunnel and test firing into the wind? I would assume one could get maximum resistance from the moving air without destroying the projectile. I doubt the bullet would travel more than a few yards before forward motion was overcome, Just a thought !!...HW

Evan Thompson:
While at AFTE in Chicago, it was mentioned that at the original Chicago PD Crime Laboratory, there was a small desktop cotton box on wheels that examiners test fired handgun bullets into. (archive photos??)  Supposedly, the energy of the bullet was dissipated by the cotton and forward motion of the box.  If so, maybe this would work as well with high velocity bullets, but on a larger scale. 

Nelson Welch:
OK.... although this is outside of the normal work we do in Firearms examinations but based on the posting by "winterh" and Evan Thompson, I would suggest a search on Wikipedia for those that are interested.   
I would start with "Ballistics" and this will have links to "Exterior Ballistics", "Interior Ballistics", "Transitional Ballistics" and "Terminal Ballistics".  The "Exterior Ballistics" section is 9 pages long and very good.  It also has links to some freeware that you can download and use.  Notice the mention of Sandia Labs here in Albuquerque.
take care.. I prefer to say that I am not a Ballistics Expert.
nelson.  505-771-2878  or cell 505-288-0000
ps
I did do a demonstration once for some medical examiners to show them that a person would not be "knocked" backwards by getting shot by a .45-70 wearing a bullet proof vest.  I took a 15 pound piece of railroad tie and shot it with a .357 Magnum ;D .
 Prior to shooting it, I measured the coefficient of friction for the railroad tie on the table top and calculated for them that the distance the tie would move would be about 2 inches.  After shooting it.. the measured distance was about 1.75 inches which was close enough for government work.  ;D

Rob Caunt:
Again, replying to an old topic.
If you need to safely download ammunition for any reason, check out this information for Hodgdon Trail Boss powder:
https://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-Reduced-Loads%20R_P.pdf

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version