collapse collapse

* Links

* Forum Menu

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 77
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2373
  • stats Total Posts: 86088
  • stats Total Topics: 14745
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 63
  • stats Most Online: 721

* Search

Author Topic: Internships anyone?  (Read 25863 times)

CString

Internships anyone?
« on: October 23, 2006, 04:41:30 PM »
I'm a student at IUPUI (Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis) and a student of Jay Siegel in his FIS program. I'm in the process of trying to find a good place to go to for an internship this summer. I'm interested mainly in firearms and toolmarks and have no idea really where I would like to go for this, except the obvious BATF. My internship would be from the end of May to the end of August. Any suggestions?

Offline Charles Clow

• Board of Directors
Re: Internships anyone?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 05:32:48 PM »
My suggestion would be that you contact either Dave Brundage or Cole Goater at at the Indianapolis-Marion County Forensic Services Agency 317-327-3670.  One of these gentlemen might be able to point you in the right direction if you are set on staying in that area.

CMC
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 09:13:55 PM by Charles Clow »

Offline Evan Thompson

• AFTE Member
  • retired
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 05:41:49 PM »
The Washington State Patrol Crime Laboratory Division has interns on a regular basis.  Give me a call tomorrow [206-262-6046 PST].   Evan Thompson
Evan Thompson
-----------------------------------
Never live a life gray
928-607-6123

Offline Michelle Dilbeck

• AFTE Friend
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 07:13:28 PM »
We also do summer internships on a regular basis now.  You can call either me or any of the other Supervisors (David Chun or Tim Zolandz) at (510) 667-7700.  Most of our interns wind up doing a lot of grunt work for me in the firearms section.
Alameda County Sheriff's Office Crime Laboratory

Offline Cole

• AFTE Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 07:22:20 AM »
My suggestion would be that you contact either Dave Brundage or Cole Goater at at the Indianapolis-Marion County Forensic Services Agency 317-327-3670.  One of these gentlemen might be able to point you in the right direction if you are set on staying in that area.

CMC

I wasn't saying anything yet, because I'm not the one that makes those decisions, but, yeah, I can point you to someone who does.  We have one intern right now, and we could probably find work enough for another one.
The views expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of anyone, anywhere, ever - including the author.

CString

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 10:31:22 AM »
I wasn't saying anything yet, because I'm not the one that makes those decisions, but, yeah, I can point you to someone who does.  We have one intern right now, and we could probably find work enough for another one.
That's kind of good to hear from you. From what everybody says around here it is nearly impossible to get in there as an intern because the lab is so small. That would work out well because, as you know, IUPUI is only a few blocks away. Do you think there would be any chance of getting some experience in the firearms section? If there is then I will definitely give you a call. Thanks for any help.

Offline Aaron T. Fullerton

• AFTE Member
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 10:42:53 AM »
We have a couple of Universities around here asking about possible internships.  What do ya'll generally have interns do in your FA section?

Aaron

Offline Cole

• AFTE Member
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 11:06:08 AM »
We have a couple of Universities around here asking about possible internships.  What do ya'll generally have interns do in your FA section?

Well, we've only had the one, that I know of.  Right now we have her helping one of the trainees catalog guns in the reference collection.   Generally speaking, I expect it to be the "grunt" projects that Dave and I don't really have time for.  Cataloging, organizing, etc.

I suppose if I fleshed out some of my research ideas more, we could have one work on that.  But, I don't forsee that happening in the near future.

Do you think there would be any chance of getting some experience in the firearms section?

I think there's a chance.  I don't know if our current intern will complete all of the project we have her working on, and I can think of a few more that would probably be appropriate.  I don't want to discourage you, but you should know that it will be likely boring and certainly unpaid.  We can't let you work on cases or anything like that.

The views expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of anyone, anywhere, ever - including the author.

Offline Cole

• AFTE Member
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 11:16:11 AM »
I was just struck by inspiration!  Scott's project to convert AFTE articles to HTML format would be perfect for an intern!

Countdown Clock

* Recent Posts

* Headstamp Guide

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal