collapse collapse

* Links

* Forum Menu

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2379
  • stats Total Posts: 86461
  • stats Total Topics: 14835
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 63
  • stats Most Online: 721

* Search

Author Topic: Microgroove Individuation  (Read 22475 times)

Offline Scott Doyle

• AFTE Member
    • An Introduction to Forensic Firearms Identification
Microgroove Individuation
« on: June 16, 2004, 10:55:21 PM »
Microgroove Individuation started by Mike Doherty
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: Mike Doherty on Nov. 01 2002,10:46

Can Marlin Microgroove firearms, the Model 25 rifle in particular, be individuated? Thanks.

madstone

Marlin 25 and microgroove's
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2004, 12:53:28 PM »
The model 25,(  I hope you don't mean the old 22 short pump gun?) has distinctive extractor, ejector, feed ramp, magazine characteristics as well as good rifling distinction. Some are notorious for scraping the round against the mag lips and ramp. Made 84-88?
The Microgroove bbl's are bad to "lead up", though they leave good identification char's on the fired bullets as well as the cases. Barrel  leading is easily "de-evolutionized" by gradually removing the build-up and firing specimens at intervals during the cleaning process.
A good accurate rifle often used by poachers. I used to have one where some jerk threaded the end of the bbl for a home-made silencer! (I destroyed it in the amnesty period !)
Oh, Marlin microgroove in 22LR's used to be 16 grooves with a 1/16R twist, if I remember correctly. Button rifled, obviously.

Countdown Clock

* Recent Posts

* Headstamp Guide

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal