collapse collapse

* Links

* Forum Menu

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2373
  • stats Total Posts: 86090
  • stats Total Topics: 14745
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 63
  • stats Most Online: 721

* Search

Author Topic: Leica FS C microscope  (Read 34777 times)

s oclair

Leica FS C microscope
« on: July 28, 2004, 06:07:49 PM »
Does anyone own one of the new Leica FS C microscopes?  Is it easy to use?  How fast are the motorized stages and focusing?  How does it compare to the Leica DMC?  Any info that you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
 Steve

Offline Scott Doyle

• AFTE Member
    • An Introduction to Forensic Firearms Identification
Leica FS C microscope
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 06:51:02 PM »
Steve,

I have a review of my FSC on my website at:

www.firearmsid.com/reviews/LeicaFSC/leicaFSC.html

I just received a firmware upgrade for it that addresses the stage speed issues and includes some upgrades to the system.  I just haven't had time to install it.

I really like my FSC.

Offline Erik Brown

• AFTE Member
    • Forensics Guy, Inc.
Leica FS C microscope
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 09:28:53 AM »
I've had one now for a month, and have used it extensively (over 100 comparisons to date).

The controls are easy to use, and the speed of the motorized stage is good.  The push button 1.5x is great.

Comparing it to the DMC is difficult for me to do.  I never liked the DMC, except for using it, and it's coaxial lighting for bringing out detail in firing pin impressions.  I haven't had to look at firing pin impressions on the FSC, but it does have the coaxial lighting capabilities of the DMC.

Overall I really like the FSC.  My major criticism is the light guides that come with the scope.  Basically three metal rods attached to each other at right angles.  Very difficult to adjust.  We are working with our vendor to purchase some articulating arms.  At first I was worried about the diffused light source that Leica provides.  I wasn't sure that it would work as well as florescent lighting, but it seems to work just fine.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me here, or email me at erik.brown@phoenix.gov.

Offline Michael Haag

• Board of Directors
    • Forensic Science Consultants
Bad Review
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2004, 08:24:54 AM »
Call my friend Kat Babcock at teh NM State DPS Crime Lab...
shootingscene@gmail.com
michael.haag@comcast.net
(505) 823-4256

Offline Chris Kalkowski

• AFTE Member
Re: Bad Review
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 02:07:07 PM »
Call my friend Kat Babcock at teh NM State DPS Crime Lab...

Mike,

You have friends.   You must have received that raise so that you could start paying them again.  Jokin..................
Chris Kalkowski
Arizona Department of Public Safety

Offline Ryan Larrison

• AFTE Friend
Leica Scope
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2004, 04:03:58 PM »
The new scopes take a little getting used to, but are really nice once you do.  Make sure to get the light diffusing panels (they are going to make them standard with new scopes now, they did not come with ours) or you will not get the most out of them.  Also, you should get the articulating arms instead of the perpendicular rods for the lighting system.

mlmerritt

Leica FS C microscope
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 01:36:35 PM »
We are looking to purchase a new scope for the first time in about 20 years.  We had Leica here with the new scope.  I found the ergonomics to be great.  We have quite a variety of sizes of exeminers and the scope easily accommodated everyone.  I'm not worried about the motorized stages.  Remember, SEM's have motorized stages and have for decades.  The motorized stages allow some great photodocumentation that can only be done with a computer.  Also, I really like the software.  

We also have evaluated the Projectina scope.  We found the ergonomics, optics, and software to be lacking.  

Also in the running is the Leeds scope.  There is one at a neighboring lab, which they like.  I particularly like the holders they offer.

Offline Chris Monturo

• Precision Forensic Testing
Leica FS C microscope
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2005, 08:56:00 PM »
If money is an issue, you can save some on the FS C by skipping some of the "extras".  I find the "through the lens" lighting a useless feature.  I think it was around $4K or something like that.

Also, if you are used to fluorscent lighting, you can get the fluorscent lights for around $700/pair and skip the fiber optic set up which runs a few more thousand.  

I also never use the remote stage controller thingy.  I can check the invoice, but i'm guessing that's another $1000ish.

If i would have known then what i do now, i could have saved around $10K on the scope skiping some of the extras that i never use.  

I perfer the ergnomics of the DMC to the FS C.  I like having my hands on the stages rather than on the center stand.  that's just a personal preference thing.

The quality of the lenses, image, and product is great.  However, like most German things, it's over engineered.

Regards,
Chris
Please check out http://www.precisionforensictesting.com  for lab supplies

Jerryp

Leica FS C microscope
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2005, 06:29:49 AM »
Quote from: CMonturo
If money is an issue, you can save some on the FS C by skipping some of the "extras".  I find the "through the lens" lighting a useless feature.  I think it was around $4K or something like that.

Chris
I wanted to add that I agree that the coaxial (light through the lens) is an expensive feature however, as you may see by the images below, it may have some purpose.

Gerard Dutton published an article in the AFTE journal sometime in 1997 when he was evaluating the Leica DM C and he commented on the coaxial light feature.

Below are some images I captured when Leica left the FS C at our lab for a couple of days.

Two of these images are of the nano via cartridge cases with the firearm pedigree info micro engraved on the firing pin. Take a look at the difference between the standard oblique lighting and the coaxial. The other two images are coaxial only.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 07:04:21 PM by Jerry Petillo »

Offline Cole

• AFTE Member
Leica FS C microscope
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005, 10:55:25 AM »
Looks like we're getting a new scope here, but don't get much time to do it.  Are the "articulating arms," that people seem to be recommending, the "goose neck" type, or the type with bolted joints?
The views expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of anyone, anywhere, ever - including the author.

Offline Chris Monturo

• Precision Forensic Testing
Leica FS C microscope
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2005, 08:05:48 PM »
Quote from: cgoater
Looks like we're getting a new scope here, but don't get much time to do it.  Are the "articulating arms," that people seem to be recommending, the "goose neck" type, or the type with bolted joints?

Cole,

You're welcome to stop by our lab and see what features you want and which ones you don't.  You can play with the through the lens lighting, coaxel lighting, and whatever esle you want.  Heck, i'll even let ya work some cases.  :lol:

Seriously, talk 'ol Dave into sending you over.

Later
chris

p.s we also have a DMC so you can compare.
Please check out http://www.precisionforensictesting.com  for lab supplies

Countdown Clock

* Recent Posts

* Headstamp Guide

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal