collapse collapse

* Links

* Forum Menu

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2373
  • stats Total Posts: 86091
  • stats Total Topics: 14746
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 63
  • stats Most Online: 721

* Search

Author Topic: Host Committee update  (Read 21394 times)

Offline Angel Moses

Host Committee update
« on: January 06, 2010, 12:36:44 PM »
Hello Everyone,

We've been busy working on as much details that we can.  I'm really excited about May and hope many are planning to attend.  It's going to be a great meeting.

We're doing things a little different this year.  The Technical program will be from Monday until Wednesday.  Thursday and Friday will be dedicated to workshops.  The only evening events will be Sunday - Meet & Greet, Tuesday - poster session, and Thursday - banquet (closing of meeting).

We are not set up to take PO's or do invoices.  If you need to submit paperwork for your finance/training department, I suggest using the Word document form.  It's more official than the PayPal form. 

Please don't forget that we need your help with presentations.

See you soon.
Angel Moses
Host Committee Chair
Angel Moses
CCBI
(919)255-7375

Offline Mike Sandford

• AFTE Member
    • Union Counyt Police
Re: Host Committee update
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 07:51:48 AM »
Angel,

Will there be evening workshops Monday thru Wednesday as well or will all the programs and workshops be during the day?

Thanks,
Mike
Lt. Mike Sandford
Union County Police
Firearms Identification Unit
Supervising Firearms Examiner

Offline Angel Moses

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 12:27:56 PM »
No workshops during the evening.  Only evening program is the poster session on Tuesday night.

If we do anything else in the evening, it will be on a more social note. 
Angel Moses
CCBI
(919)255-7375

Offline Susan Allen

• AFTE Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 01:57:18 PM »
Hi Angel,

My Department requires me to send them an agenda of the Technical Program/Workshops/Armorers Courses before they will approve me to attend.  How early can I get a copy of this?  I know that it takes time to put this together, but I won't be approved until it is received.

Thanks,
Susan Allen

Offline Angel Moses

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 02:47:06 PM »
We are trying to tack down enough of the workshops before we post it.  Looks like we will have that in the next 2 weeks. However, the abstracts of the technical program will not be put together for a few months.  I guess I would need to know how detailed your department wants the paperwork.
Angel Moses
CCBI
(919)255-7375

Offline Susan Allen

• AFTE Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 03:54:57 PM »
They require the dates and times of all technical papers/workshops/armorer's courses.  They make it very difficult. Unfortunately the Dallas Police Department wants to make sure our Training Seminar is not a vacation--which I understand. However, you may not have this in place till the last minute.  Hopefully, I can get something sooner.  I can contact you at a later date and see where you are.  Thank you...

Offline Kevin Streine

• AFTE Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 04:48:48 PM »
We are not set up to take PO's or do invoices.
Angel
Do you mean to say that currently you are not set up to process POs or that POs will not be accepted at all?
Thanks
Kevin Streine
New Mexico Department of Public Safety
505-827-9151

Graveyards are filled with the bones of indispensable men. Charles de Gaulle

Offline AFTE Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 07:38:31 PM »
Susan,

do you need the titles of the presentations or just the dates and times.  If it is just the dates and times, I'm would guess a preliminary schedule will be ready quite a bit earlier.  Something along the lines of Presentations Mon 8-12 (Business meeting in the afternoon) and tuesday and wednesday 8-4 with a break for lunch.  Or something along those lines.

Jay
Jay Stuart
Metro Crime Lab - Albuquerque, NM

Offline Angel Moses

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 10:53:24 AM »
Upon discussion and some thought on the matter, it has been decided that we will NOT be accepting PO's.

Most people do not realize that the conference funds are seperate and that each meeting is self sustained financially. The organization's funds are not accessible to us.  It is impossible to run a meeting with funds that will be paid in the future. 
Angel Moses
CCBI
(919)255-7375

Offline Richard Hitchcox

• (956) 565-7281
  • AFTE Member
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 12:46:10 PM »
Angel,

I don't remember AFTE previously having a poster session.  I have seen poster sessions at meetings of other organizations so I think I know what one is.  Could you please elaborate on this a little for the benefit of the membership as a whole?

Richard
1911 is faster than 911 ~ anonymous

Offline Angel Moses

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 01:54:07 PM »
The "Poster" Session is reminiscent of a school science fair. 

Instead of making a huge powerpoint presentation and presenting your topic to the whole body of members you can make a small display and let individuals wander to you.  The display can be in the form of a poster display or you are welcome to play a video or photos on your laptop.  The members will walk around the room and stop at whichever topic they are interested in. 

This concept allows those that have stage fright to present their ideas in a more comfortable setting.  You may have an idea that may not be grandiose enough for a full blown presentation and find that this is a better platform for it. 

The only thing I warn is if you are using your laptop, you will have to run off of your own batttery power as we will not be able to guarantee power at your table. 
Angel Moses
CCBI
(919)255-7375

Offline L. M. Kogler

• AFTE Member
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 04:40:58 PM »
A poster session at AFTE sounds intriguing. For all of us poster newbies, are there specs on what size the poster has to be? Other poster "regs"? Also, what are the deadlines for papers/presentations and posters? I was looking at the "Call for Papers" page on the main website, but couldn't find a deadline.
L. M. Kogler

Offline Angel Moses

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 05:44:45 PM »
I would have to say that the posterboards must be free standing.  I suggest the trifold posterboards available from your local office supply stores.  I believe the dimensions are 14"x22" or 14"x33".  Either would be fine. If you need space for two posterboards, just let me know so I can account for the needed space.  

With all the deadlines that I had to set, I did not set one for presentations.  I will be taking submissions until I am filled up.  It would be nice to have them by mid-March.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 06:58:02 PM by Angel Moses »
Angel Moses
CCBI
(919)255-7375

Offline L. M. Kogler

• AFTE Member
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 06:55:22 PM »
Thank you much, Angel!  :-0
L. M. Kogler

Countdown Clock

* Recent Posts