collapse collapse

* Links

* Forum Menu

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2373
  • stats Total Posts: 86090
  • stats Total Topics: 14745
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 63
  • stats Most Online: 721

* Search

Author Topic: Research  (Read 13801 times)

Offline Deion Christophe

• Firearms Examiner
  • AFTE Member
Research
« on: December 17, 2010, 12:52:41 AM »
The AFTE Glossary 5th Edition currently identifies a striation as:

Contour variations, generally microscopic, on the surface of an object caused by a combination of
force and motion where the motion is approximately parallel to the plane being marked. These
marks can contain CLASS and/or INDIVIDUAL CHARACTERISTICS.

Does anyone have a more detailed description that they give in reference to "contour variations" when asked in court to explain what is meant by contour variations in regards to a striation?

Current research  that describes the various understanding of a striation in regards to diverse explanations of what a striation is (i.e. length, width, depth, and microscopic appearance) could assist in a more detailed and direct response should this term ever be questioned in a court of law.
Deion P. Christophe, M.S.
Firearms Examiner
Office: 972-9412194| Email: dchristophe@plano.gov
Plano Police Department
909 E. 14th Street
Plano, TX 75074

Offline Tori Kujala

• AFTE Member
Re: Research
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 09:03:18 AM »
I usually discuss striations when I am explaining the individual characteristics of a barrel.  I explain the purpose of rifling and then go on to explain how the tools leave randomly placed individual characteristics in the form of nicks, burrs, and cuts in the barrel.  I then explain how the bullet travels down the barrel and that it is not only engraved by the rifling, it is also marked by the barrel's individual characteristics which form a pattern of striations, or scratch marks that a firearms examiner uses to determine if a bullet was, or was not, fired from that barrel.  This has worked for eleven years so far but it could be that the jury is asleep by that point.

TK
Tori Kujala
Forensic Firearm Consultants, LLC
8505 Prairie Rose Lane
Fort Worth, TX  76123
817-528-5520

Countdown Clock

* Recent Posts

* Headstamp Guide

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal