PUBLIC Forums > Forensics

Bullet Calibre and the value of X-rays

(1/1)

Brandon Bertolli:
One of the chapters in the book that I am writing deals with the determination of the size of a retained projectile by means of radiological analysis. I have reached several conclusions based upon my knowledge of X-ray imaging principles and the physics and variables that may influence any attempt to determine calibre by means of radiographs. Before I state my findings, I would like to find out two things from you forensic scientists here:

1) What is the current thinking in forensic circles as regards the determination of the calibre of a retained bullet radiologically? Is this something that has been proven to be useful in legal proceedings or is there no accepted science/evidentiary value in this?

2) Of all the methods reported so far, which one has been credited with the most chance of success? Is there a person or an institution that can be considered to be knowledgeable in this endeavour?

There have been several articles in your journal (which I am struggling to get hold of) that are relevant:

X-rays - Bullet caliber determination ...Apr 80 47
X-rays - Bullet caliber determination ...Apr 89 140
X-rays - Bullet caliber determination ...Apr 89 168
X-rays - Bullet caliber determination ...Apr 89 168
X-rays - Bullet caliber determination ...Apr 89 243
X-rays - Bullet caliber determination ...Jul 75 68
X-rays - Bullet caliber determination ...Jul 80 66
X-rays - Bullet caliber determination admissible ...Jul 80 85
X-rays - Bullet caliber determination, problems ...Apr 80 54
X-rays - Bullet size ...Apr 85 44
X-rays - Peters method of bullet examination ...Jul 82 11
X-rays - Peters method of bullet examination ...Jul 82 9

There may have been updated articles published in the journal recently. This list was drawn up last year.
In my own experiments I have tackled the problem from an entirely fresh viewpoint. I would like to know if there are parallels between what I have concluded and the current thinking of the day.

Any help, comment or opinion is greatly appreciated.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version