collapse collapse

* Links

* Forum Menu

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2373
  • stats Total Posts: 86090
  • stats Total Topics: 14745
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 63
  • stats Most Online: 721

* Search

Author Topic: Possible NFEA research project.  (Read 17424 times)

Offline Evan Thompson

• AFTE Member
  • retired
Possible NFEA research project.
« on: July 20, 2011, 02:44:37 PM »
Possible NFEA research project.

Subject: Fine subclass characteristics on fired bullets.

Fine subclass characteristics on test fired bullet land impressions have been documented on both Ruger and Winchester rifle barrels.   

Research is needed to document what type of tool is used to produced these barrels and what tool(s) are used to produce the rifling tool.   How prevalent this rifling method is used throughout the firearms industry and finally how persistent are these marks not only within one gun, but between like rifled firearms. 
Evan Thompson
-----------------------------------
Never live a life gray
928-607-6123

Offline Greg Scala

• AFTE Member
Re: Possible NFEA research project.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 08:33:18 AM »
To add to what Evan said, the answer to the first part is already available:

"Research is needed to document what type of tool is used to produced these barrels and what tool(s) are used to produce the rifling tool." I have documented this part, gave an AFTE presentation on it (2006) but have not published it.  I just ran out of steam.  I have a ton of stuff related to this topic I would be willing to turn over to anyone willing to finish this reseach.

The second part of Evan's post is what really needs to be addressed. (How prevalent this rifling method is used throughout the firearms industry and finally how persistent are these marks not only within one gun, but between like rifled firearms?).  Also: How prevalent is this phenomenom in actual casework?  How can we guard against false ID's in the future?  The list goes on.

I feel like what we are seeing is the result of emerging technologies in the firearm's industry and for now it is relatively benign.  The thing about emerging technologies is they become more prevalent and before you know it they become the standard rather than the exception.  Now is the time to jump on this before it gets out of hand :police:.  Any takers?

Offline Rachel B-K

• AFTE Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 08:48:10 AM »
Although not rifles, my PhD thesis (currently being written) will contain information regarding rifling methods used for manufacturing pistol barrels so any pistol barrel rifling information you have Greg, would be much appreciated.

I have also submitted a detailed article regarding SIG Sauer manufacturing processes to the AFTE Journal recently (contains some information regarding SIG Sauer rifles).

Hope this following information is relevant for your records though, which was obtained during my PhD research. I do have more specific info if anyone wants it. The following 9x19mm pistol manufacturers are using/have used the following methods:

Broach cutting - ArmaLite, Beretta, Colt, Dan Wesson, Fabryka Broni Lucznik (i.e. F.B. Radom), Kimber Manufacturing, Rohrbaugh Firearms, Sturm, Ruger & Co. (i.e. Ruger), Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armoury, Star Bonifacio Echeverria (i.e. Star), Tanfoglio (prior to 1999) as well as Bar-Sto Precision Machine.

Cold hammer forging - Alfa-Proj, Arcus, Bersa, Česká zbrojovka (i.e. CZ), Israeli Weapons Industries (formerly Israeli Military Industries), Fabrique Nationale d’Herstal (FN Herstal)/Browning, Glock, Heckler & Koch, SIG Sauer, Steyr and Vektor.

Button rifling - Arms Corporation of the Philippines, Bond Arms, High Standard, Hi-Point Firearms, John Slough of London (i.e. JSL), Kahr Arms (barrels supplied by Lothar Walther in Germany), Kel-Tec, Kimber Manufacturing, Para Ordnance, Stallard Arms, STI International, Taurus, Tanfoglio (barrels supplied by Lothar Walther since 1999), Walther and Wilson Combat.

ECR - Cugir, SIG Sauer and S&W (revolver barrels post 1993).

Offline Kim Haag

• AFTE Member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 12:21:23 PM »
Just a friendly reminder AFTE members, the R&D Committee would LOVE to help you out financially with your research projects!  Just get in touch with me, Rick Wyant or Melissa Oberg!

Have a great day!
Sincerely,
      Kim Haag
      FSC, Albuquerque, NM

Offline Rachel B-K

• AFTE Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 03:52:24 PM »
Just had an enquiry and thought I should elaborate a little (hope Kimber do not mind here!):

All Kimber handgun barrels are apparently coarsely broach cut rifled and then a finishing button is inserted - hence my inclusion in both broach cut and button rifling groups as both processes may affect the finished barrel surface and exhibited toolmarks.

Countdown Clock

* Recent Posts

* Headstamp Guide

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal