PUBLIC Forums > Forensics

Suggestions for Minors?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Calvin Story:
We are a Firearms and Tool Mark training lab. We currently have 7 people in training for our field labs. There are rumors that we will soon have a vacancy in one of our field labs that we were not anticipating.
www.txdps.state.tx.us
At our home page click on employment and scroll down. I don't know when the vacancy will occur but I believe that it will be between now and the end of the year.

baye6212:
Thank you! I will be sure to keep an eye out for a vacancy.  Are you able to provide me with some information pertaining to things like an approximate number of ballistics/firearm/tool mark labs in the nation, how are they broken down (local, state, federal, etc) and what kind of case loads does a lab like this deal with.  Besides comparison microscopy,and digital photo micrography what other instruments and methods are utilized in the field and what are the estimated costs of such analysis? I've researched a little on my own but the field is so appealing to me it would be great to get some first hand information.

Justine Kreso:
Why are you interested in case loads of labs and budgetary aspects of FA/TM sections??

Jerryp:
bench examiners dont usually concern themselves with that sort of information( case load and cost etc..). The emphasis is usually on the evidence, conclusions, and verbalizing those conclusions into a report (and then of course lunch and when is the next conference :) ) .

Your questions might be better addressed by managers/administrators.

baye6212:
Just like to be educated that is all.  I'm new and "fresh" in the forensic world and was curious as to how FA/TM compared to the toxicology environment.  That being said, regardless of my limited knowledge and experience I have become extremely familiar with our instrumentation, methods as well as approximate costs and types of clients as I am responsible for upkeep, operation, and maintainence of almost 70 different instruments vital for my company's success and growth.
I am not looking for agency-specific details, but rather a very general approximation as to how things are broken down and how this field operates. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version