PUBLIC Forums > Forensics

College studies in forensics...Any firearms related?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Ann Davis:
Chris,

Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, VA has an undergraduate degree in Forensic Science as well as a MS degree.  A semester long course in Firearm and Toolmark ID is an elective in the MS curriculum.  The course is taught at the VA DFS laboratory where we have 9 comparison microscopes for use by the students.  The class is limited to 12 students to assure that each student receives the individual attention that is necessary for him/her to glean the most from the class.

Historically, a laboratory class taught at the undergraduate level has included 4 lab exercises taught by the fa/tm examiners, which have varied from toolmark comparisons (impressed and striated toolmarks), bullet rifling and BF class identification of markings; vehicle lamp examinations, serial number principles and examination,  distance determination, trajectory analysis.  These lab exercises include handouts and a lecture briefing the students about the subject matter prior to the exercise.  This lab class accompanies a lecture class where 2 lectures on FA/Tm examination and related topics are given.    

Ann :D

Michael Neel:
Chris,

I received my Masters of Science degree in Forensic Science at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. We had a comparison microscopic (it was not in great shape) and we had lectures and a some practicals to complete using both cartridge cases and bullets. We did not do any "classic" toolmark practicals. The lectures were given by qualified Firearm and Tool Mark Examiners from the Alabama Department of Forensic Sciences.

Mike

Ed Wallace:
Chris,

When I was at Strathclyde University in Glasgow (Scotland) we were given a few lectures on Firearm ID, a practical in serial number restoration and a brief overview of Tool Marks. The department had a decent comparison microscope that was being used for other disciplines. When I expressed an interest in Firearms work I was handed a box full of fired bullets and cartridge cases and told to see what I could do with them. Not the most structured educational environment, but I did get a good deal of hands on work with the scope and miscellaneous ammunition.

Then I went to Indy and Jim and Mickey learned me how to do it right! :roll:

Ed

Michele Eichenmiller:
I attend the Forensic Master's Program at Marshall University and we have a comparative sciences class that is a requirement of the program.  It is a two credit hour class that offers 3-4 lectures on firearms examinations but that is it!  :?

Michelle Dilbeck:
UC DAVIS has a Masters program in Forensic Science that includes Firearms Identification.  I'm not sure how detailed it is, I know when I took the course nothing was covered (that was before the class was split into two new courses).  Since some lectures are held at the California Criminalistic Institute in Sacramento, with some of the same instructors, I would think they would get a good introduction.  

Speaking of CCI, it does offer a series of courses in Firearms and Toolmarks, but you need to be working in a crime lab to attend.  These courses are excellent for fireams examiners in-training.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version