collapse collapse

* Links

* Forum Menu

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 44
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2373
  • stats Total Posts: 85737
  • stats Total Topics: 14731
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 63
  • stats Most Online: 721

* Search

Author Topic: An idea for a joint paper  (Read 31625 times)

Offline afss

• AFTE Friend
  • If you have to shoot, shoot! Don't talk!
    • LNE - Advance Forensic Science Services
An idea for a joint paper
« on: July 27, 2012, 02:45:58 AM »
   In response to the Aurora, Colorado killing, I was approached by an American reporter who lives in Israel but writes for the American media.
   He asked me about the ratio between licensed and unlicensed guns in Israel, about the procedures one have to go through in order to have a gun license and so on.
   Like many other reports, he finally used only two quotes from our one hour talk! After reading his article, I got the idea of writing a serious paper on the differences between Israeli laws and procedures and those in the US.
   I know there are differences between the states and I don’t expect to cover them all, what I hope for is to bring to the knowledge of decision makers in the states that there is other solution to gun control and not only gun ban.
So, if there is someone (or even more then one) who likes to join with me in writing a joint paper on the subject, I will love if you contact me.
I enclose a link to the article:
http://www.jewishjournal.com/israel/article/despite_militarized_society_israels_strict_gun_laws_keep_civilian_violence_/
Talk softly and cary a big gun!

Offline Jennifer Floyd

• AFTE Member
Re: An idea for a joint paper
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 12:31:00 PM »
I wish I had time to help you.  This would make for a very interesting article.
Jennifer Floyd
Arkansas State Crime Laboratory

Offline afss

• AFTE Friend
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 12:36:29 PM »
Hi Jennifer,

It would'nt take much time. All I need is you'll write to me what are the requirments for getting gun license in your state.

Offline Cole

• AFTE Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 01:32:20 PM »
When you say gun license, do you mean license to carry one concealed on your person, or license to own a gun?
The views expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of anyone, anywhere, ever - including the author.

Offline Jennifer Floyd

• AFTE Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 01:43:00 PM »
You have 50 individual states with laws, plus the federal laws.

I'm in Arkansas and we don't have a licensing requirement to own a firearm.  The federal laws apply, like you cannot be convicted of a felony.  And Arkansas law also says if you are convicted of a misdemeanor domestic violence offence you can no longer own a firearm.  You have to have a concealed carry license in order to carry your loaded handgun and that handgun must be concealed from view while you are carrying it.  In order to get your concealed carry license, you have to pass a background check and take a class that familiarizes you with firearm laws and requires you to shoot a target from five or so feet away.

This might be a good place to start for state laws (I can't guarentee all laws are listed here): http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws.aspx

And for federal laws: http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/laws/
Jennifer Floyd
Arkansas State Crime Laboratory

Offline afss

• AFTE Friend
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 02:22:22 AM »
When you say gun license, do you mean license to carry one concealed on your person, or license to own a gun?

Hi Cole,
This is exactly why I want to write a paper for. In Israel you can carry a licensed gun any way you want, conceled or not conceled. This is one of the differences between us and the different states in the US.
And no, I am not going to analyze all 50 states just some of them especially to show the differences you have in one federal country (the US).

Jerryp

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 05:17:33 PM »

I'm not sure I understand, if this paper is successful in demonstrating the differences in Israel and the various sections of the US,

1) what will that show?
2) how is that related to Aurora?
3) will it change the way the US media takes our quotes out of context ? 

Offline afss

• AFTE Friend
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 01:30:42 AM »
I'm not sure I understand, if this paper is successful in demonstrating the differences in Israel and the various sections of the US,

1) what will that show?
2) how is that related to Aurora?
3) will it change the way the US media takes our quotes out of context ? 
Hi Jerry,
I guess you will have to wait untill the paper is done to have answers for the first two questions.
As for the third question, it depends on the reporters and not on the facts. We have the same problem in Israel, it dose'nt means we will stop trying to state our opinion.

Jerryp

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 10:07:06 AM »
Looking forward to reading your paper

Offline afss

• AFTE Friend
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 11:15:50 AM »
The work is allmost done, thanks to Aaron Brudenell, my co-author.
Now some finishing and publication.

Offline Lisa Peloza

• AFTE Member
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 02:39:31 PM »
Will you be including any crime stats in this paper? Because I was born and raised in Chicago (extremely high murder rate / lots of gun restrictions) and now live in Arizona (I'm sure Aaron covered our laws), I would be interested to see how that corresponds (murder rate to gun restrictions). I would be willing to participate in that area.

Offline afss

• AFTE Friend
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 08:36:31 AM »
Hi Lisa,

The main issue discused in our article was the influance of gun banning, or strict gun control, on the numbers and possibilty of mass casualty incidents. We did not at the whole crime map.
From statistics I learned about England & Australia, where guns were taken from the public, I can tell you that the rate of crimes involving guns is rising in both of them.
It is my feeling that the same happens in Israel, but over here the police don't report this kind of crimes seperatly, so I don't have any numbers to look at.
After our paper will be published, maybe you'll take the subject forward and write about crime rate in general.

Offline afss

• AFTE Friend
Here is the paper
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 04:52:20 PM »
After much work, here is a link to the joint paper by Aaron Brudenell and myself. We would love to hear your insights about it.

http://files.webydo.com/150858/Gun%20Control.pdf

Jerryp

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 08:05:25 AM »
Great article!!!  This article is really applicable in light of the current situation post Newtown CT.

Offline afss

• AFTE Friend
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 08:41:58 AM »
Thank you Jerry for the compliment. An amazing thing happened with this article, we could not find a magazine that would publish all of its 11 pages but in the mean time it got circulated on the web and many people refere to it and quote it.
The funny thing is that they are quoting me quoting Robert Heinlein.....

Countdown Clock

* Recent Posts

* Headstamp Guide

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal