collapse collapse

* Links

* Forum Menu

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2373
  • stats Total Posts: 86097
  • stats Total Topics: 14746
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 63
  • stats Most Online: 721

* Search

Author Topic: Assistance in Identifying AK Pattern Receiver  (Read 23767 times)

Offline rwalker

• AFTE Friend
Assistance in Identifying AK Pattern Receiver
« on: March 05, 2013, 09:39:21 AM »
I recently encountered an AK pattern receiver with unfamiliar markings.  I am attaching an image of the markings showing the bottom of the receiver ahead of the magazine well.  I have my own thoughts but will withhold them pending review here.  The markings read "PCM WI NY".  The receiver was built up as a rifle using a Hungarian sourced AMD63/65 parts kit to complete the build.  There is an unusual small diameter hole near the top of the receiver above the trigger.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 21007-0
R. Walker

Offline Eric Warren

• Board of Directors
Re: Assistance in Identifying AK Pattern Receiver
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 12:37:26 PM »
Norinco makes an AK-type rifle, model 84S.  "PCM WI NY" could be the importer, although I couldn't find any info on them.

classicfirearms sells the Hungarian AMD65 parts kit and has some nice pictures: http://www.classicfirearms.com/amd65rec

HTH
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 12:44:25 PM by Eric Warren »

Offline rwalker

• AFTE Friend
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 01:17:19 PM »
I considered the NORINCO/Poly Tech make, however the receiver is devoid of the atypical markings that are seen on either make.  Furthermore, there is no evidence that those markings may have been obscured or obliterated.  In addition, I have never seen such an import marked in that location by any importer.  I think the 84S model is a coincidence. 
R. Walker

Offline Chris Monturo

• Precision Forensic Testing
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 01:59:14 PM »
My Google-Foo came up empty using the info on the receiver.  So.....

Two things I can think of.

1) A person with an 07 manufacturing license made the firearm.  They are required to put their Company, City/State, model and Serial Number. 

2) An individual made the firearm for personal use.  While there is no requirement to mark the firearm, many individuals use industry requirements as a guide for marking them.  The PCM may be the guys initials.

Because the SN is 84S-0001, that tells me this is a one-of production. 

If you're really bored, you can go to the ATF web site and look up all firearm license holders.  Go through the state of NY and look for a business name with the initials PCM with an 07 type license and you may find your maker (if they are a licensed manufacturer).
Please check out http://www.precisionforensictesting.com  for lab supplies

Offline Chris Monturo

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 02:02:26 PM »
The crappy peeling paint is a good indicator it is a home made job.  Checking the quality of the riveting, spot welds for the receiver rails, heat treat of the fire control group holes, etc will help you decide if it a home made job or a production piece.

Offline rwalker

• AFTE Friend
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 02:03:07 PM »
You and I are on the same page with these theories, although I did not want to come out and say that initially and taint the jury pool.  I was hoping someone would recognize PCM right away, and the abbreviations do not really seem to make sense, I can see NY for New York or WI for Wisconsin, but the combination?
R. Walker

Offline Chris Monturo

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 02:10:50 PM »
WI = West Islip

Offline rwalker

• AFTE Friend
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 02:29:32 PM »
Ah soooo.   Shows you that my NY geography is not so good!  Well, it should be since everyone from NY came to Florida!  HA!
R. Walker

Offline CConn

• AFTE Friend
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 03:56:42 PM »
Not that it means much, but I haven't seen anything stamped with those markings in my gunsmithing career. 

I'm personally inclined to say homebuild, due to the stamping also, some letters look deeper than others or almost double-stamped, as if they were done with a hand stamping vice and hammer.

My  $ 0.02 at any rate.
Caleb Conn
Washington State Patrol Crime Laboratory
IBIS Technician

Offline Dan Alessio

• Board of Directors
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 04:55:09 PM »
PCM Importers - Mangiameli, Paul & Cindy - Yonkers, NY

Maybe a relocation to or from West Islip?

Offline rwalker

• AFTE Friend
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 07:53:34 AM »
To keep the discussion going- I suspect that this receiver was manufactured by a Naples, Florida based individual named Crinks or Krinks, I am not completely familiar with the spelling.  He manufactured AK receiver flats and receivers in various stages of completion.  He apparently had some legal trouble and his inventory was scattered about over time to home builders, gun smiths, or licensed manufacturers to complete the build. 
R. Walker

Offline Eric Warren

• Board of Directors
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 09:50:21 AM »
Yeah, I think the Krink or Krinkov receiver flats were sold back in the 90's and had a reputation for being crappy and not properly heat treated.  I've read that they were usually used for SBRs with side folding stocks or AK pistol builds.

I didn't find much in other gun forums but I did find a little info here: http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/39850-what-krinks-reciever.html

There are some on Gunbroker now: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=327250767 but they are stamped "KRINKS NAPLES, FL M-97 7.62X39"
[/size]
[/size]HTH
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:55:25 AM by Eric Warren »

Countdown Clock

* Recent Posts

* Headstamp Guide

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal