PUBLIC Forums > Headstamp Submissions

Headstamp/Cartridge Identification

(1/2) > >>

KClarke:
Hello all,
      I've been looking recently at acquiring a digital Cartridge Case/Headstamp Library to use for identification purposes.  I've found several, and am curious as to what experience, if any, folks might have had with them.

The first is relatively inexpensive, manufactured by a Curtis Steinhauer, located in Canada and found at

www.cartridge-corner.com

The second, is a great deal more expensive, and manufactured by a group in the Netherlands, with offices worldwide, though apparently, not in North America yet.  It can be found at

http://www.cartwin.nl/IndexUK.html

Any input or advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any help,

Kenneth Clarke
NIBIN Technician
KClarke@Greenvillecounty.org

gmlawrence:
The Cartridge Headstamp Guide by Curtis is an excellent product. We just recently ordered the latest upgrade to this product. Lots of usefull information about the cartridge and company. You'll enjoy the search engine that's incorporated in the product. Gary

Michael Neel:
Kenneth,

I have a copy of the first reference that you mention. We have found it useful as it does provide lots of good information. I have had trouble with the search feature from time to time; however, I definitely recommend the product. I have not seen the second reference that you mention.

Mike Neel

Jim Roberts:
I've used the Steinhauer CD for a couple of years now and have only stumped it once that I can remember, and that one gave Bill Wooden some pause as well.  Seems to work well.

Jim

KClarke:
Thanks for all the helpful replies.  From what I can see, Mr. Steinhuaer's work seems to be a safe bet.  Being as it's fairly inexpensive, I may be able to get it and another reference for back-up.

After speaking with the gentleman who apparently helped designed CartWinPro, I find my interest piqued in it.  He says he is going to be demonstrating it at the AFTE show this year if anyone is interested.  I don't know if I'll be able to attend yet or not, but we are trying to wrangle some funds for it now.

Also, a third database has been brought to my attention, and I thought I would see if anyone was familiar with it.  It's called the Centerfire Headstamp Database, and is produced by Forensic Ammunition Service Inc., located in Michigan.  From my reading on this one, it seems to have a large amount of information stored in individual Word documents.  I'm not sure about the search functions incorporated in it, but another large database might help cover anything the first missed.  Anyone had experience with this one?

Thanks for the advice,

Kenneth Clarke
NIBIN Technician

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version