PUBLIC Forums > Call For Assistance Feedback

Is there a name for this type of breechface?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Nancy McCombs:
Shandra, you would also not be incorrect if you called them arced BF marks, or overlapping arched BF marks.

Shandra Lynch:
Thank you, Nancy

Chris Monturo:
I would sway away from arched as they are traditionally associated with Beretta/Taurus 92/96 series where there is clearly a one way arch from the face milling process.  If someone told me "arched" I would think Beretta/Taurus 92/96 style.
While what you have shown does have arches, it is a result of a different process.   Beretta/Taurus is a one time swipe in an upward motion.  What you have is an endmill used in conjunction with a rotation of the bolt face.  This is similar to the Ruger AR-15 bolt face (pictured below).  Overlapping endmill marks as Mark mentioned.

As for a one or two word term to encompass the situation....that may take some time to figure out.  If you want a description, I would classify it as a breechface produced by an undersized endmill to produce the case head pocket (or overlapping endmill marks). 

Not sure if that was much help because I didn't come up with a term, but it gives you the jist of what you are seeing.(edited to say that overlapping endmill marks pretty much sums it up the more I think about it)

Regards,Chris

Shandra Lynch:
Thanks, Chris.

Adam Grooms:
It would be curious to know what NIBIN is classifying this BF as?  Maybe AFTE glossary committee can help define a standard term (ie. OE - overlap endmill)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version