collapse collapse

* Links

* Forum Menu

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 99
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2417
  • stats Total Posts: 88084
  • stats Total Topics: 15071
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 64
  • stats Most Online: 721

* Search

Author Topic: Conventional vs polygonal rifling material  (Read 4325 times)

Offline anthony.mendez

• AFTE Friend
Conventional vs polygonal rifling material
« on: August 19, 2024, 07:14:24 PM »
Over the last 2 years, the evidence techs in our office have been trained in basic bullet exams where we are notating weights, est caliber, twist, amount of L&G, and rifling type. Most of them have struggled mainly with identifying the rifling types and do not feel fully comfortable identifying the rifling type since they sometimes feel as though they're guessing. Especially when it comes to the GEN5 Glocks that throw them off since they have railing but on a polygonal bullet. I'm currently trying to put together a quick guide/ PowerPoint for our office to help with this including what to look for and with close up photos.

With that being said doe anyone by chance have any material on these topics themselves they may be able to share related to bullet exams and or rifling types?

Thanks!

Offline Bob Kennington

• AFTE Member
    • My Only "Social Media"
Re: Conventional vs polygonal rifling material
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2024, 05:08:34 AM »
With regard to rifling types, there are at least two manufacturers in 9mmP caliber that exhibit similar rifling.

EDIT:
Although also lost to time, the term "buttress rifling" may be the correct manufacturer's term for the below "ramp rifling".

One, the Sites "Spectre" has a self-described "sinusoidal" rifling. (No sharp edges).

Another 9mmP--whose name has been lost to time--has "ramp" rifling. (One driving edge, and no trailing edge).

The manufacturer's name should be available somewhere in a handy book on the subject.

:D
« Last Edit: August 28, 2024, 06:07:51 AM by Bob Kennington »

Offline Aaron Brudenell

• AFTE Member
  • Groovy, yeah!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2024, 04:20:55 PM »
Here's some stuff I've used over the years.  I haven't added new Glock rifling but one thing to note, because it's cool, is that even the .22 Glock rifling has rails on either side of the pseudo-lands (what I call them). 

I recently had a Glock pistol with multiple shots and test fires where only one of each of the rails was reliably marking the bullets, analogous to a driving edge in conventional rifling.
Aaron Brudenell
Firearm Examiner
Arizona Dept. of Public Safety
520-746-4644

Offline Bob Kennington

• AFTE Member
    • My Only "Social Media"
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2024, 07:48:23 PM »
Just in case our newer examiners feel uncomfortable using rifling terms like "lands and grooves", the identical "technical" terms are used by the manufacturers of drill bits!

I'd expect drill bit manufacture to be older than the rifling process in firearms.

:detective:

Countdown Clock

* Recent Posts

* Headstamp Guide

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal