PUBLIC Forums > Technical Assistance

Jacket Styles (Bullet Base)

(1/2) > >>

Brandon Bertolli:
Is there a list of jacket styles when it comes to the base of the bullet? For example, take these four 9mm bullets:

They all have a varying degree of protrusion or coverage at the base. These can have different radiographic appearances which is why I am interested in them.

1 = from a PMP cartridge (Pretoria Metal Pressings)
2 = from a Hirtenberger cartridge (NATO contract)
3 = from an NGA cartridge (New Generation Ammunition)
4 = from an AmmoTech cartridge (AMT-97 headstamp)

Eric Warren:
Just based on jacket style, I would not distinguish between the first 3 bullets - I would call them all FMJ.  The 4th bullet I would call a TMJ.

Brandon Bertolli:
Thanks Eric. I have heard TMJ used before and that makes sense.
The other three bullets need differentiation even if I have to simply describe each one as seen, because appearances may differ radiologically.

That Hirtenberger has an almost rolled lip appearance where the jacket sits proud of the core at the base. The NGA base is flush and the PMP is concave.
I have various bullets in my collection with various degrees of concavity, from deep to shallow.
It seems there is quite a lot of variation to be seen even when looking at just 9mm bullets.

Steve Scott:
No surprise, I agree with Eric's assessment of the bullets.  Once fired, I doubt the subtle differences between #2 and #3 would be noticeable.

Mark Tanner:
I agree with Eric, but if you want to take it a step further this is what I would say.

1. Open concave base - FMJ
2. Open recessed base - FMJ
3. Open flat base - FMJ
3. Closed flat base -TMJ

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version