PUBLIC Forums > Firearm Identification

100 year old T. E. Lawrence bullet

(1/2) > >>

Nelson Welch:
I was wondering who did the work for Archaeology Magazine ?.////////////////////////////////While surveying the site of an attack on a Turkish military train in the Arabian Desert in Jordan, which was described by T.E. Lawrence in his autobiography, archaeologists discovered a spent bullet that was likely fired from Lawrence's own Colt 1911 automatic pistol. The weapon  would have been extremely rare in the Middle East during the Arab Revolt of 1916-1918.With Cole's information..(Thanks), it may be that the Archaeologists doing the work are scientists,  and therefore don't really need a firearms examiner.

Axel Manthei:
The bullet in the picture looks a bit long for a .45 ACP 230 grs FMJ (typical for these days) bullet to me.... ???
GreetingsAxel

Cole:
This one has an image with a scale:

https://phys.org/news/2016-04-bullet-lawrence-arabia-liar.html

Bob Shem:
I’d hazard a guess that in a century’s time that maybe a random person or two may have done some pistol shooting in the desert.

It’s a bit of a stretch to claim that this is one of his bullets.  The longer a “crime scene” is left uncontrolled the greater the chance that any pertinent evidence would be lost, or other items contaminate the scene.

I’d say it a good guess that maybe another war or three may have swept over the region since 1918.

Greg Laskowski:
Weren't British Colt Pistols .455?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version