collapse collapse

* Links

* Forum Menu

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2373
  • stats Total Posts: 86098
  • stats Total Topics: 14746
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 63
  • stats Most Online: 721

* Search

Author Topic: Department suspends all travel  (Read 16481 times)

Offline LaurenMacAulay

• AFTE Member
Re: Department suspends all travel
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2020, 10:18:41 AM »
Yeah Alan we were shocked with the 90 days right away - but our province just announced last night ALL schools (K-12 and post-secondary) and ALL day care facilities are closed until September!!! They're hoping to prevent the spread before it gets out of control like other countries so they're taking some extreme measures for sure.
Lauren (MacAulay) Black
Calgary Police Service
Forensic Firearms and Toolmark Laboratory
Calgary, Alberta

Offline Alan Zheng

• Technical Advisor
    • NIST Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2020, 10:30:36 AM »
WHOA!!! September?!?! Calgarians must be in chaos right now trying to figure out what to do with their kids.

While I agree with taking every precaution, announcing closures in shorter tranches instills less panic. Our schools are only closed till the end of March for now. I expect that to be extended, but if someone told me it's closed till next year, I'd be going out of my mind working through wtf to do.

Online Justine Kreso

• AFTE Member
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2020, 10:43:17 AM »
Yeah Alan we were shocked with the 90 days right away - but our province just announced last night ALL schools (K-12 and post-secondary) and ALL day care facilities are closed until September!!! They're hoping to prevent the spread before it gets out of control like other countries so they're taking some extreme measures for sure.

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
Justine Kreso
Onondaga County Center for Forensic Sciences
Syracuse, NY

Offline Jennifer Floyd

• AFTE Member
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2020, 12:22:17 PM »
Currently all travel that has been approved is being reviewed to determine if it should still be allowed and any future travel will have to be approved by the head of the Department of Public Safety (which was created last summer and encompasses several different state agencies including the Arkansas State Crime Lab).  So not canceled per se, but likely to be restricted.  The Arkansas governor mandated 4 counties close all public schools last Thursday afternoon; he expanded that mandate to every public school Sunday afternoon.  The closure is currently through our scheduled spring break which is next week.  If it isn't continued, our kids are supposed to go back to school March 30.
I can tell you as my county was one of the original 4, it was absolutely panic inducing when I received a message at almost 1pm Thursday afternoon that my child's school would close at the end of the day.  So far, though, most daycares have remained open.  And her cheer gym is offering day camps with smaller enrollment.
It was absolutely surreal to walk into the Arkansas Children's Hospital yesterday and find the lobby completely deserted save for the person in gloves and mask tasked with screening visitors at the door, a security guard, and an admissions receptionist.  All I was trying to do was drop off cards and balloons for our cheer gymmates who were in a car accident Saturday morning, not even trying to go visiting anyone.  I've never seen the parking lot at less than capacity or the lobby quiet, even when I have been there at odd hours.
Based on how quickly the situation is evolving, I would not be surprised if our governor starts closing or limiting government offices, bans travel, and follows Ohio with closing restaurants and bars.  Our first case was confirmed last week and that person infected at least 3 health care workers here.
Jennifer Floyd
Arkansas State Crime Laboratory

Offline Aaron Brudenell

• AFTE Member
  • Groovy, yeah!
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2020, 07:03:17 PM »
Arizona is extending the border wall north of Yuma along the Colorado river and banning all re-locations from California. . . just kidding.  :P

We are (seriously, now) experiencing closed schools for the next 2 weeks by governor's order and that may be extended eventually.  Prior to that, the main universities and some community colleges made similar limited closures (some exceptions for certain students/classes) and instituted longer range plans to move to on-line instruction in the coming weeks. 
Aaron Brudenell
Firearm Examiner
Arizona Dept. of Public Safety
520-746-4644

Offline Sean Daniel

• AFTE Member
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2020, 07:38:55 AM »
Texas has extended spring breaks and a number of colleges will complete the year online. And if you havent heard already, the CDC's new recommendation is to not have gatherings of 10+ people

Offline Kent Weber

• AFTE Member
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2020, 02:10:13 PM »
Out-of-state travel restriction for State of Nebraska employees was issued yesterday.  No end date was offered.
Kent Weber
Nebraska State Patrol Crime Lab
kent.weber@nebraska.gov
402-471-8960

Offline William Best

• AFTE Member
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2020, 02:25:44 PM »
To add to this, we have now been placed on a minimum staffing assignment.  Only 1 or 2 people per section of the laboratory per day.  They are attempting to organize work from home assignments to try to be somewhat productive.  This is currently set to run for 2 weeks.

Stay safe out there everyone.

Offline Tina Wilson

• AFTE Member
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2020, 04:07:58 PM »
We are out for AFTE  :'( St. Louis County just suspended travel through the end of May for employees.
St. Louis County Police Crime Laboratory
7900 Forsyth Blvd.
Clayton, MO 63105

Offline Amy Weber

• Moderators
  • "If you're gonna be stupid, you gotta be tough"
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2020, 09:55:07 AM »
Ditto - we just got our out-of-state travel ban end date - no travel until June (if we are lucky and it doesn't extend further)  :'(

This will be only the third AFTE conference I have had to miss...this is such a bummer but will rally for an epic AFTE 2021!   :-00
Amy K. Weber
Forensic Scientist III
Nebraska State Patrol Crime Laboratory
(w) 402-471-8950
Amy.Weber@nebraska.gov

Offline Marah Carney

• AFTE Member
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2020, 01:46:55 PM »
Working on changing a hotel reservation, but the dates for the conference have not been updated under the hotel's reservation system.  Any idea on when we can start that process?

Countdown Clock

* Recent Posts

* Headstamp Guide

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal