collapse collapse

* Links

* Forum Menu

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 41
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Board Stats

  • stats Total Members: 2200
  • stats Total Posts: 79168
  • stats Total Topics: 13592
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 62
  • stats Most Online: 721

* Search

Author Topic: Firearms Technician, KCPD Crime Lab (Kansas City, MO)  (Read 1837 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Kyla Skinner

  • AFTE Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 17
Firearms Technician, KCPD Crime Lab (Kansas City, MO)
« on: May 10, 2021, 11:53:00 AM »
TITLE: Forensic Specialist II, Forensic Firearms Technician
ELEMENT OF ASSIGNMENT: KC Police Crime Laboratory/Firearms & Toolmarks Section

REQUIREMENTS: To examine firearms and munitions, related evidence, and produce written reports of findings. Testify as a witness in court.

Essential Job Functions:
1. Conduct physical examination and classification of firearms and munitions received as evidence; determine the make, model and serial number of firearms. Prepare written reports of results.
2. Conduct restoration, by chemical process, identifying marks or numbers which have been removed.
3. Perform test firing and reports on the functionality of submitted firearms.
4. Conduct swabbing and limited processing of firearms and ammunition components for DNA and latent prints.
5. Perform screening and entry of ammunition components into the National Integrated Ballistic Information Network (NIBIN) system.
6. Drive to district stations and Headquarters to pick-up firearms related evidence for NIBIN entry.
7. Accurately receive and manage the storage of all new incoming firearms evidence to the Crime Lab.
8. Testify in court as to the findings of analysis.
9. Maintain equipment and oversee inventory supplies
10. Advance professional development by attending training seminars, taking proficiency examinations and reading professional journals.
11. Regular and reliable attendance is essential and must have the ability to work mandatory overtime, flexible hours, nights, and weekends and/or holidays when necessary.
12. Perform other related duties as required.
13. This case specification should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It is intended to identify the essential functions and requirements of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform job related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this specification. Any essential function or requirement of this class will be evaluated as necessary should an incumbent/applicant be unable to perform the function or requirement due to a disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) as amended by the Amendments Act of 2008 (ADAAA); and the Missouri Human Rights Act (MHRA).

Job Standards:
- Incumbent must possess a bachelor’s degree from a four year accredited college or a university with major course work in a physical science, criminalistics or related field.
- Close attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy is required.
- This position requires rapid entry and correlation of ammunition components. It is preferred that the incumbent have knowledge of firearms, firearm components, firearm technology, general computer knowledge and data entry skills. The incumbent must also possess strong analytical and communication skills.
- Incumbent is required to submit to a DNA standard for quality control purposes.
- Incumbent must possess a valid driver’s license.

Physical Requirements:
- Incumbent must be able to perform moderate lifting (up to 50 pounds) and extended periods of sedentary work.
- Incumbent may be exposed to hazardous materials, noise levels, and working conditions.

Job Location:
- This position operates in a criminalistics laboratory 90% of the time; remaining 10% of time is spent engaged in fieldwork.

• Brasstrax and Matchpoint database systems
• Computer, telephone, facsimile, scanner, photocopier
• Photographic equipment
• Analytical instruments
• Industrial tools
• Vehicle

Outside applicants interested in being considered for the position must submit a cover letter and a resume to by no later than MAY 24, 2021.

All permanent full-time members of the Kansas City Missouri Police Department must reside within the Kansas City, Missouri city limits unless an exception has been granted by the Chief of Police.

Selected applicants who meet all of the qualifications will be contacted individually to schedule an interview. Selected applicants must submit to a CVSA, MMPI, post-offer physical examination and routine drug screen.

Link to KCPD Job Postings:
Kyla Skinner
Forensic Specialist V - Firearms Section Technical Leader
Kansas City Missouri Police Crime Laboratory


Countdown Clock

* Recent Posts

* Headstamp Guide

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal