PUBLIC Forums > Headstamp Submissions

Headstamp Sumittal Questions

(1/4) > >>

JAndrews:
Greeting all...  I have been lurking in the shadows as a guest and decided to join the forum a couple of days ago.  Just now getting my courage up to post.  I have several headstamps that are not in your current database.  I collect old military brass and rifle brass as well as pickup a lot of brass from my local gun range.  My questions are as follows...

1) Military / Rifle brass - Do you need specifications on length, diameter if the round is still intact? or even a picture of the round along with the headstamp?

2) My current camera is not very good at capturing a good image.  Any ideas on how to get quality photos suitable for posting?

3) Is there a specific size you need the pictures for posting? (if I get a decent photo)

4) If unable to get proper photos is there an address I can ship the spent casings to for inclusion?  I don't mind paying the postage and would not need the casing back.

5)  On some of the posted headstamps I see slight differences in what I have.  Since the posted ones are identified, would you still like the ones I have.  An example I have a rifle round with a headstamped  of LC 43.  The database has several LC numbers.

Well, these are my current questions, however I'm sure a few more will pop into my head once I complete this post.  Anyway, Thanks for the service you are providing, and I hope to include some of the headstamps I have found.

v/r
Jim

Bob Shem:
David Wright will likely get back to you on this.  Thanks.

Richard Hitchcox:
Jim,

Thank you for your interest in the AFTE Headstamp Guide.  I offer a special thanks for your willingness to contribute headstamps and information for inclusion in the guide.  The headstamp guide was recently transferred from David Wright to myself so I will attempt to answer your questions to the best of my ability.

1) Military / Rifle brass - Do you need specifications on length, diameter if the round is still intact? or even a picture of the round along with the headstamp?

As much information as possible would be appreciated; however, a headstamp will not be rejected for lack of this information.  I have several sources and databases that I use to look up and/or confirm information.  

I don't see a need for inclusion of a photo of the intact cartridge, because we do not have that for headstamps currently in the headstamp guide.

2) My current camera is not very good at capturing a good image.  Any ideas on how to get quality photos suitable for posting?

I and others have taken close up photos with digital cameras, and I remember someone previously stating that they copied the headstamps they submitted with an office copier.  

I am not sure what type of camera you are using; therefore, I'm also not quite sure how to answer this question.

3) Is there a specific size you need the pictures for posting? (if I get a decent photo)

Our global moderator recently weighed in on the file size of photos posted here on the AFTE web site.  He has told us that jpeg images should be kept to under 200 KB.  I resize photos as neccessary before posting them in the headstamp guide.  

4) If unable to get proper photos is there an address I can ship the spent casings to for inclusion?  I don't mind paying the postage and would not need the casing back.

Any cartridge cases that you would like to submit for inclusion in the headstamp guide can be sent to my work address as listed below.

Texas DPS Crime Laboratory
Attn: Richard Hitchcox
1414 North Bicentennial Boulevard
McAllen, TX 78501

5)  On some of the posted headstamps I see slight differences in what I have.  Since the posted ones are identified, would you still like the ones I have.  An example I have a rifle round with a headstamped  of LC 43.  The database has several LC numbers.

Please submit any headstamps that vary from those listed in the AFTE Headstamp Guide.  If there are differences from existing headstamps the new headstamps will be added.

I hope that I have sufficiently answered your questions, and I appreciate your willingness to assist by offering to submit items for inclusion in the AFTE Headstamp Guide.

Thank you,

Richard

JAndrews:
Richard,

Thanks for the information, and I will try the copier/scanner option.  If I'm unsuccessful, I'll send them to you in the mail.  I had another idea too.  With the ever increasing size of the headstamp collection, have you ever thought of sorting the pictures by caliber and or manufacturer?  I don't know what tools you are using to keep track of the headstamps, but if it a database a few new queries wold work.

I will also look at the various primer stamps that I have and any difference i send your way.

Thanks for the reply and I hope you had a great AFTE Seminar.

v/r
Jim

Bob Shem:

--- Quote ---have you ever thought of sorting the pictures by caliber and or manufacturer?
--- End quote ---

The idea behind the headstamp guide is a free, user-friendly method of determining the manufacturer (or marketer) of a headstamp that is not obvious.

For example, the manufacturer/marketer of a cartridge displaying the headstamp WINCHESTER 38 SPL is pretty intuitively obvious.  A cartridge with an odd symbol or cryptic arrangement of letters and number is not so obvious.

The AFTE headstamp guide is not supposed to be a complete encyclopedia of every headstamp ever manufactured, but rather a convenient, accurate way for the bench firearm examiner to identify an otherwise unidentifiable manufacturer/marketer.

I hope that this helps clarify the rationale behind the headstamp guide.

Thanks for your interest and any efforts on your part to make the database more complete.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version