collapse collapse

* Links

* Forum Menu

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 70
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2373
  • stats Total Posts: 86103
  • stats Total Topics: 14747
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 63
  • stats Most Online: 721

* Search

Author Topic: Docmentation Requirements Feedback  (Read 4957 times)

Offline Bwylie

• Britany Wylie
  • AFTE Member
  • Britany Wylie
Docmentation Requirements Feedback
« on: November 19, 2019, 08:26:47 PM »
My lab is currently looking for input on appropriate documentation for comparisons performed.  Input from other labs has been requested before we make any requirement changes.

An example is ?three firearms, 7 bullets and 15 cartridge cases are received by the lab for comparison.  Each firearm is used to produce a set of test fires. 

Each set of test fires are compared to the others from the same firearm, as well as, to one test fired component from the other two firearms.

Each of the fired bullets and cartridge cases are compared to all three sets of test fires before identifications are made. 

What are your labs requirements for documentation of the comparisons, and if you could provide an example.  If you would provide responses either as a response or to britany.wylie@isp.idaho.gov it would be greatly appreciated.

Offline James Stevens

• AFTE Member
Re: Docmentation Requirements Feedback
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 08:31:45 AM »
At the KBI we use a three column comparison table in a Word document.

In the first column we list all of the comparisons performed (i.e Item 1 vs. Test 1.1.1), in the second column we list the conclusions that we reached (i.e ID BFM, ID FPI) we have symbols for ID, ELIM, and INC, then in the final column we include a description of the conclusion we reached for each area (i.e Strong agreement of striated individual detail within the FPAS, correspondence exhibited on both sides of the FPI, agreement is of sufficient quantity and quality for identification).

Multiple tables are used for "group" of comparison examined. If we had three firearms each firearm would have a table that listed the comparisons of Test to Test and any ID comparisons. Then a separate table would be used for eliminations. Cartridge cases and bullets also get separate tables. We found this is an easy way of visualizing how the case ultimately breaks down.  Currently we do not compare known samples to other known samples outside of training.

Hope this helps, if it is clear as mud let me know and I can provide further info. 32930-0

Countdown Clock

* Recent Posts

* Headstamp Guide

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal