PUBLIC Forums > Call For Assistance Feedback

Individual marks from consecutive manufactured barrels

(1/2) > >>

afss:
It is a well known fact that firearms examiners are able to differntiate between bullets, fired from consecutive manufactured barrels, and are able to determine from which barrel any bullet was shot.
In the literature, tests and real cases, where consecutive manufactured barrels and bullets fired from them were examined, are well described.
However, in most of those tests & cases, the examiners were able to examine the whole bullet with mosst of the L&G on it intact!
I am looking for cases were only ONE land mark remain, with supposed positive comparison, but with other marks (Lands & Grooves) with distingtive non-resemlence.
If any one of you knows such a case, or cases, or knows about a paper observing this issue, I will be most graitfull for the information.
Thank you,

Lior

afss:
After reading my request, posted above, I understood I am not clear enough, so I am adding some info to it.
I am interested to know if the examiners, who examined bullets from different barrels, saw similarity between one or more land grooves, even if their final conclusion was that the bullets were fired from different barrels.
Thank you,
Lior

afss:
Hi Brian,

Maybe my question was not clear, so I will give an example.
Let say we have two barrels made one after the other.
Bullets are fired from both of them. Now you have only two bullets, one from each barrel but you dont know that, and you need to decide wether they were fired from one barrel or two.
You put them on the microscope and this is what you see:
There is a very good resemblence between L1 on bullet 1 and L1 on bullet 2.
You dont find enough individual marks on the rest of the land marks to make any conclusion.
You do find vivid differentiation between the groove marks of the two bullets.
What will be your final conclusion?:
1. There is a positive comparison (because of L1), meaning the two bullets were fired from one barrel.
2. There is a negative comparison (because of GM), meaning the two bullets were fired from two barrels.
3. You dont have enough information to make a conclusive opinion.

Lior

afss:
Well Brian, thank you for your response. However I am looking for concrete data from tests and/or cases were it was possible to distinguish between two bullets, but still there was high degree of resemblence in one LI or more, made by the fact the two barrels were made consecutively.

Brian Smelser:
Sorry I could not help.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version