collapse collapse

* Links

* Forum Menu

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2378
  • stats Total Posts: 86404
  • stats Total Topics: 14829
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 63
  • stats Most Online: 721

* Search

Author Topic: Cast from a cast  (Read 17299 times)

Offline aesanko

• AFTE Friend
Cast from a cast
« on: December 20, 2010, 04:29:43 PM »
Just curious if there has ever been any research done/anything published on a procedure and the best material to produce a cast from a Mikrosil/Forensic Sil cast.  Whatever material used would obviously need to maintain the microscopic marks, have good contrast, set fairly quickly, and not stick to the Mikrosil/Forensic Sil...

Anya Sanko
Las Vegas Metro PD
Forensic Lab

Offline Paul Murphy

• AFTE Member
Re: Cast from a cast
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 08:14:16 AM »
Good Morning

It all depends what you are trying to reproduce.  I have done lots of "double castings" of fired bullets and cartridge cases, however mikrosil and the other casting materials are not the best to make molds with.  I use a German product called Elastosil M4641 A and M4641 B to make microscopic quality molds of fired bullets and cartridge cases.  Obviously the molds are a "negative" of the fired bullets and cartridge cases.  To make the "positive" I use a 50/50 resin called Smoothcast 321.  In order to color the cast I use So-strong black tint (it is available in many colors).  If you have any more questions feel free to contact me at : paul.murphy@contactft.com.

Paul J Murphy
Senior Firearms Technical Advisor/Forensic Firearm Examiner
Forensic Technology WAI
paul.murphy@contactft.com 
Paul Murphy

Offline aesanko

• AFTE Friend
Re: Cast from a cast
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 12:57:43 PM »
That is exactly the info I was looking for, thanks.

What I am looking at doing is a consecutively manufactured bolt study and I have the ability to cast the breech faces multiple times but only a limited opportunity to test fire the bolts in the firnished firearms.  So, I need to be able to cast the few test fires that I do get (make negatives) then cast the negatives so I can use the positive casts for comparison to the breech faces if that makes sense. 

Can you let me know your supplier for those products?  I contacted a company called "Smooth-On" and they recommended a product called Task 2 or Task 3 which is a polyurethane resin, which is probably similar to your Smoothcast. 

But that is exactly what I need to do is make a negative cast then make a positive from the negative so I can compare breechface cast to test fire cast.

Thanks for the info,

Anya Sanko
Forensic Scientist I
LVMPD Forensic Lab
Firearms and Toolmarks Detail

Countdown Clock

* Recent Posts

* Headstamp Guide

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal