collapse collapse

* Links

* Forum Menu

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2373
  • stats Total Posts: 86105
  • stats Total Topics: 14747
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 63
  • stats Most Online: 721

* Search

Author Topic: Graduate Thesis: Ten Consecutively Manufactured Pistol Slides  (Read 17070 times)

Offline Sascha

• AFTE Friend
Graduate Thesis: Ten Consecutively Manufactured Pistol Slides
« on: September 14, 2011, 05:12:44 PM »
I am currently conducting a study on potential subclass carryover on consecutively manufactured pistol slides with my graduate advisor and fellow AFTE member, Mr. Deion Christophe. This study seeks to further expand on previous works and provide additional research into the investigation of subclass and individual characteristics that may be viewed on the breechface.  We are currently seeking ten consecutively manufactured pistol slides for macroscopic examination of the breechface markings on cartridge cases. We’ve made contact with Springfield (XD .40 S&W), Ruger (LCP .380 Auto); however, as of yet we have not received any confirmation as to procurement or purchase of these items. We are aware that Tom Deeb (Hi-Point Pistols) would more than likely be willing to assist in this research, yet we would like seek manufacturers that have not been thoroughly researched.

Through this examination, it is expected that the study will indicate whether breechface markings can be linked back to their respective pistol slide or if misidentification by a firearm/tool mark examiner is possible. We will utilizing a sample size of 1000 cartridge cases fired by these slides in a later validation study which may assist in developing error rates along these lines of examination.

I’m reaching out to examiners who have conducted previous research on this topic and anyone that may be in contact with manufacturers potentially interested in assisting with this project. It would be extremely benenficial to the project if the manufacturers allowed us to tour their facilities and observe the machining process of the firearms. Any and all assistance, suggestions, and comments are welcomed.

Jerryp

Re: Graduate Thesis: Ten Consecutively Manufactured Pistol Slides
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 10:52:08 AM »
If your really looking to have some fun with subclass I would recommend 10 consecutively manufactured H&R shotgun receivers.  all you need is one stock, forearm, and barrel  along with your 10 receivers.  This is a project i have wanted to do for a while and just cant find the time.

http://www.hr1871.com/default.asp

in the cases that I have seen they have really gross manufacturing marks on the breech and in my opinion would make an excellent study regarding subclass.

Hope this helps

Karen Cabana

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 10:31:34 AM »
Hi Sascha!

How did your thesis go? Are you done with it? Which university did you attend to? I think your thesis is interesting! You’ve come up with such idea. I don’t really have that “great knowledge” about this stuffs but I’m beginning to learn more everyday as I research and read threads that give much information.

What was your graduate program by the way? And how was your experience? I’m searching for advice on my plan of getting a graduate degree (like yours). But I just don’t know where to go and where to start. There’s this one site that I found: http://www.mastersdegree.net/ which tackles about getting online graduate (master’s) degree programs. I would like to know what did you go through and did you have an advisor for your thesis?

Hope to hear from you. All the best!

Teresa Rutherford

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 10:06:58 PM »
This is really cool! My brother, Brandon told me that he’s interested in completing a Forensic TASER Course and joining AFTE workshops. How many days will it take to complete the course and how much would be the fee? We’d like to know more details about this because I found a site offering online course for this with a tuition fee of $250 per person. Here it is: http://www.crtlesslethal.com/training/crt-forensic-taser-course-ftworth/ Is the tuition fee reasonable enough for this course?

Recently, my brother and I are planning to get a degree in forensic science which I get interested in after having visited this site: http://www.forensicscience.org/, which has info about career guide in forensic science. I’d like to know if these course trainings and workshops are useful in our field. Any thoughts from all of you would be appreciated. Many thanks!

Offline Brian Smelser

• Brian Smelser
  • AFTE Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 09:43:00 AM »
Rick (of CRT) developed most (if not all) Forensic examination information on TASERs.  They have great information.  It would probably be most benificial to those actually using TASERs and those that are currently examining the devices in use of force cases.  Feel free to contact Rick or Tom of CRT for more information.

Good luck.
Washington State Patrol
Seattle Laboratory
206-262-6032

Countdown Clock

* Recent Posts

* Headstamp Guide

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal