collapse collapse

* Links

* Forum Menu

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2373
  • stats Total Posts: 86094
  • stats Total Topics: 14746
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 63
  • stats Most Online: 721

* Search

Author Topic: Past AFTE President Published a Book!  (Read 55260 times)

Offline Matt Noedel

• AFTE Member
Past AFTE President Published a Book!
« on: October 04, 2004, 05:16:42 PM »
AFTE's 2nd president (1970-1971), Charles Meyers, has published a book entitled "Silent Evidence Firearms and Toolmark Cases from Forensic Science".

Information about obtaining a copy of the book can be found at:
www.parkwaypublishers.com

Posted on behalf of Charles Meyers by Matthew Noedel, AFTE Editor

Offline Scott Doyle

• AFTE Member
    • An Introduction to Forensic Firearms Identification
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2004, 07:20:42 AM »
I couldn't find reference to the book on their site.  Is it not listed and you simply have to email them?  Or did I just miss it?

Offline Ann Davis

• Past President
Charlie Meyers' Book Info from Publisher
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 06:10:36 AM »
I wrote to the publisher and received the following response.  Ann :P

Dear Ms. Davis: Thank you for your e-mail. Here is the information on Charlie Meyers' book, Silent Evidence.
Rao Aluri

Silent Evidence: Firearms (Forensic Ballistics) and Toolmarks
Cases from Forensic Science

By

Charles Meyers

Parkway Publishers, Inc. is pleased to announce the publication of Silent Evidence: Firearms (Forensic Ballistics) and Toolmarks Cases from Forensic Science written by Charles Meyers, a resident of Mountain City, Tennessee.

Silent Evidence describes a number of criminal cases, which illustrate the imaginative work of crime scene investigators, criminal investigators, and crime laboratory analysts. The book specifically focuses on the influence of firearms and toolmark identification methods in solving crimes. Many of the homicides involve “twists” in the evidence, not usually reported, which will be of interest to the general public. The book will also be useful to students of forensic science, criminal justice, and criminal law.

Silent Evidence includes an addendum, “A Primer on Firearms and Toolmark Identification,” for those readers who desire a deeper understanding of the discipline and its scientific foundation. Also included in the book is a bibliography.

Charles Meyers, the author, served the Criminal Justice System for more than fifty years and practiced in the discipline of Firearms (Forensic Ballistics) and Toolmark Identification for more than forty years.  This career included twenty-five years with the Michigan State Police, three years teaching at Delta College in Michigan, and over twelve years with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.  In addition, he has lectured and published extensively regarding physical evidence and forensic science, and testified as an expert witness on more than a thousand occasions.  He is a Navy veteran of World War II and Korea. His education includes a Bachelor of Science degree from Michigan State University with a year of Criminalistics and a minor in Natural Science.  He is Past-President of the Association of Firearm and Toolmark Examiners, a Retired Fellow of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences, and a Kentucky Colonel.

Silent Evidence  (ISBN: 1-887905-39-1) is priced $19.95 and is available from local bookstores and directly from the publisher, Parkway Publishers, Inc., Box 3678, Boone, NC 28607. Phone & fax: (828) 265-3993; Toll-Free (800) 821-9155. MasterCard/Visa accepted. Shipping and Handling: $4.00. North Carolina residents please add 7.0% sales tax.

Rao Aluri, Ph.D.
Parkway Publishers, Inc.
PO Box 3678
Boone, NC 28607
Ph&Fax (828) 265-3993
parkwaypub@hotmail.com
http://www.parkwaypublishers.com
Ann Davis
AFTE President 2003-2004

babyglock9mm

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2004, 02:33:12 PM »
Charlie was one of my trainers in the GBI/FDLE training program.  He gave us all a copy of the manuscript.  At that time, he did not think it would get published.  I'm glad to hear that it did!  There are some very interesting cases in there.

:P

Van

Offline Richard Hitchcox

• (956) 565-7281
  • AFTE Member
Silent Evidence: Firearms and Toolmarks Cases from Forensic Science
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 06:01:59 PM »
This is just an update on how to obtain a copy of Charles Meyers' book entitled Silent Evidence: Firearms and Toolmarks Cases from Forensic Science.

I offered up copies of this book to the winners of the football bowl games contests a few months back.  I then ordered the books through several of the internet vendors that listed the book for sale.  All of my orders stayed open from 2 to 4 weeks and were then canceled by the vendors.  All of the vendors said they canceled the order because the book is not available from any source.

Finally, I contacted Charles Meyers and found that the books are available; however, they must be ordered directly from Mr. Meyers.  I received the books I ordered in less than a week, and they were all autographed. 

Charles Meyers' contact information is available from the AFTE membership roster, and the current price of the book is $18.

I just thought I would throw this information out there in case someone else may have gone through some of the futile efforts I went through looking for a copy of this book.  I read the book and found it to be a good read about some interesting cases.

Richard
1911 is faster than 911 ~ anonymous

Offline Chris Monturo

• Moderators
    • Precision Forensic Testing
I have corresponded with Charlie lately and can say he is a very interesting gentleman.  I wish I would have had the opportunity to have met him at a conference.  Hopefully, I can make it down his way and visit him. 

I haven't had a chance to read his book, but plan to soon.

I'm sure it is a good read.

Regards,
Chris
Please check out http://www.precisionforensictesting.com  for lab supplies

Offline Bob Kennington

• AFTE Member
    • My Only "Social Media"
Charlie Meyers: That #&¢%œ®!

In the early days of proficiency-testings sent to Florida laboratories, Charlie sent just four .22-short fired bullets to our lab.

Due to the apparent leading of the  barrel, there was a range of opinions—mostly centered around "could have been". Some examiners were bolder, but most were wrong.

Charlie had sent us bullets from an "Erl Svensen"!

That #&¢%œ®!     O0

Offline Richard Hitchcox

• (956) 565-7281
  • AFTE Member
My conversations with Charles Meyers were most pleasant.  He is definitely a very interesting and intelligent gentleman.  I too regret not having had the opportunity to meet him.

Quote from: matrixman
Charlie had sent us bullets from an "Erl Svensen"!

If you are referring to the 4 Aces derringer, I've had one of those in a case.  I found it to be an interesting little firearm.  The one I had first peaked my curiosity because it was stamped Brownsville, Texas, and I live in Brownsville.  At any rate, I found the 4 Aces to be an interesting little firearm. 

Richard
1911 is faster than 911 ~ anonymous

Offline Bob Poole

• Past President
Charlie Meyers . . . AFTE's second president.  A gentleman and always an AFTE booster!

Offline Bob Kennington

• AFTE Member
    • My Only "Social Media"
Hey, our replies almost crossed.

Yes Charlie's the best—sorry if I left the wrong impression.

Regarding the pistol: Yup...That's it—the pistol on the left:

Sorry, I misspelled the name, it's Erl Svendsen—with a "d". "Four Aces" appears on most examples.

When you can match two bullets—and can't match the other two (for whatever reason), think of Charlie before you write a report. I always remind Charlie of that "unfair" test when I see him, but it's been a while now—Miami Beach AFTE training seminar.

Pretty clever test.  ^-^

Really clever test.  >:(

That #&¢%œ®!

Offline Bob Poole

• Past President
Re: Silent Evidence: Firearms and Toolmarks Cases from Forensic Science
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 01:57:59 PM »
Oh Bob . . . I never took it any other way!  I just thought I'd share my two bits especially since several indicated they'd never met Charlie.

Offline Tori Kujala

• AFTE Member
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 04:41:01 PM »
Charlie was one of my trainers while at the GBI (Terri G and I trained at FDLE's TBROC along with Omar Felix, John P. Ryan, Alison Q, Ed Lennihan, Andy Smith).  He also was part of our toolmark training by the LaVoy Associates team (Terry LaVoy, Charlie Meyers, and Dave Townsend). He is an awesome firearms examiner and a very nice guy.  He had just finished writing the manuscript for Silent Evidence and was searching for a publisher at the time.  He gave all of the newbies in the training a copy of the manuscript.  It is really good reading material.  Now I am going to have to go find it on my shelves at home and refamiliarize myself with the cases he worked and wrote about.
Tori Kujala
Forensic Firearm Consultants, LLC
8505 Prairie Rose Lane
Fort Worth, TX  76123
817-528-5520

Offline Cara Gomes

• AFTE Member
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 06:24:27 PM »
FYI - you can win a copy of Charles Meyers' book at AFTE 2007. He graciously donated 2 signed copies of his book.
Cara Gomes
Sacramento County Crime Laboratory
E-mail: gomesc@saccounty.net
Phone: (916) 874-9236
Fax: (916) 874-9620

Jerryp

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2007, 09:37:37 PM »
Cara

Thanks for all the hard work you and the rest of the host committee is doing. You may not realize it but the membership appreciates it   O0

Jerryp

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2007, 09:49:35 PM »
Touché`

Countdown Clock

* Recent Posts

* Headstamp Guide

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal